Don't feel like

LittleDudesMom

Sharon,

reading all the replies before posting, I find myself nodding my head to two comments that I was thinking myself.

First, Linda questioned what was going to happen when difficult child got bigger and stronger. You said that you were able to stop his hands when it appeared he wanted to strangle you. How much longer will you be able to do this Sharon? What is going to happen when he is stronger than you or stronger than easy child? This situation has dangerous potential. Certainly none of us know what tomorrow will bring, but you can be sure, based on past history, that difficult child will get bigger, stronger, and more violent (if left unchecked).

Second, Fran totally echos my thoughts - she mentioned that difficult child's aggression is not a trigger to situtations he finds challenging, distasteful, etc. His violence is always there, just below the surface and ready to burst forth.

You talked about him falling asleep in the car on the way home from the club. I would be petrifed to take him to the club and place him with other kids after what happened after school. I would be frightened for the other children. I just don't think it's fair at this point to potentially expose others to his level of violence. An elbow in the stomach, a whipping belt, and hands around the throat are a 1, 2, 3 escalation senario. First the elbow and then that was not enough. So, difficult child comes in with a belt - an object that he can use to express his displeasure with your stop the world stuff. When that is not enough to express his anger, he goes to hands around the throat.

Whether he realizes that strangulation would be the outcome or not is not the point. It's downright dangerous.

Last spring and summer when you started the stop the world, it seemed pretty effective for difficult child. I don't think it's working anymore Sharon.

Gosh, we love these kids so much and feel that we can survive one more incident because we feel or love and devotion and the doctors and the medications will eventually help. But it's not working Sharon.

Imagine difficult child three years from now........ Isn't it better to do what needs to be done now rather than see him in a detention center or worse later? At his age now, I think it would be easier to "overlook" some of the behavior and get him help because he has some serious issues. But as other moms on this site have experienced, once these boys get a certain age, the system has no sympathy or understanding when violence happens.

So many hugs to you girl. This must certainly be on your mind 24-7. Not just your fear of what difficult child will do next, but how you can help this boy you love and what the future holds for him. I cannot even really imagine what you are going through...

I do know Sharon, that you don't deserve this. husband needs to be on the same page. He cannot be uneffective by difficult child voilence toward you. His protection instinct and love for you must definately be telling him that something else is called for here.

I think it's time for a severe reality check in the Wiped house. Helping difficult child now, while difficult and devastating, is going to be better for him in the long run - don't wait until it's so out of control that a fellow student, a kid at the daycare at the gym, or easy child is the punching bag. It might be too late...

Tons of hugs.

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
ML-Thanks for the encouragement.

Sharon-Thank you for your thoughts. We have a staffing tomorrow and I will bring up your thoughts. In fact, I'm thinking of printing off this thread and bringing it with me (I would remove any references to the CD board). It's hard to explain why I wasn't worried about bringing difficult child to the health club. He was deescalated and had already taken his evening medications.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Wanted you to know I was thinking about you.

This is why I appreciate this place so much. The wisdom from the other members with older children is remarkable and at times hard to see when you are immersed in the issues.

I think you have received some very tough yet on target advice.
Hope you are well today

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Totoro!

The staffing today was canceled. I was not happy because I felt we really needed this with difficult child being so unstable but the caseworker's babysitter canceled on him and he needed to go home:(

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon-It's not rescheduled yet which I'm not happy about. I have already left two messages for the case manager-no response yet-I'm not happy.