Don't Forget the Frontline Show Tonight...

klmno

Well, I really wanted to wathc this but I can't find it on the line-up- I can't find PBS- go figure

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I think you can watch the full show online... If you click on the link. If you miss it it is being rebroadcast many times.

TerryJ2

Wow. I've watched most of it online and finally turned it off in disgust ... that one psychiatrist who flat out told the parents there was no point in trying any behavior therapy on their kid, who in my humble opinion was already overmedicated, just made me furious.
The other doctors were honest and at least tried to present a balanced picture, showing how very difficult it is to diagnosis kids, especially when you have no data.
I didn't memorize the kids' names, but the one with-the tics ... poor thing. Sigh.
And that little bipolar girl ... well, she definitely was odd.

The one thing I could identify with-was the expressions of exhaustion on most of the parents' faces.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I thought that for a ONE hour program, they squeezed in as much of all sides as they possibly could have.

My heart was aching for the 13 year old boy with the horrible neck and shoulder tic. I can totally relate to the frustration as difficult child had many tics when she was younger and due to certain medications, they were severely exacerbated. She eventually outgrew some of her tics and the ones she still has she chooses not to medicate to reduce.

I missed the first 15 minutes of the show so I didn't see the entire segment on the little girl (who they later showed when she was 12) but I didn't think she was over the top misbehaving, even when she was saying that stuff about cutting off heads, etc. I remember hearing kids at her age (4/5) say things like that all the time, on the bus, in the playground = it was part of fantasy playing and trying to get a parent's attention. Did they show any clips of that little girl having a meltdown and being violent at home before showing her in the DR's office? Maybe there was more to it that I missed, but I think that if that was the worst of her behavior, the DR jumped the gun, in my opinion.

I do think that there will always be a DR out there who is quick to diagnose and/or treat a child for something that may be a simple part of development. Likewise, there will always be a DR who is very hesitant to prescribe medications to war weary parents of a troubled child in need of immediate help and medications.

I thought it was a pretty well rounded program, especially since they only had one hour in which to present. I could totally relate to the weary looks and devastation the parents were feeling and expressing. When the interviewer asked the mom if she thought her daughter would ever get better and she said "no" and started crying, I did too. I hate that about this the most - they never grow out of mental disorder.

TerryJ2

You didn't miss much. The 1st 15 min. were a waste, basically intro stuff.
I, too, wanted to witness the meltdowns and rages. The one little boy who was struggling with-the container of toys seemed to be having a normal struggle, from what I could see. No one seemed to be able to offer any meltdowns for the camera.
Maybe the parents didn't want to go through the trauma of it, but if they're going to let a TV crew follow them around for a few days, they may as well do it all. It's just that the lack of real meltdowns made it less convincing for me.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I was glad that the Stanford psychiatrist touched on the fact that these are not "normal" tantrums and misbehaviors. He added that it was so much more. But with editing and what not who knows what else he said?
I just wish they had expanded on it... the fact that it is SO much more.
The wanting to die, the hallucinations, the rages that can last for hours, the cravings, the sensory issues, the ups and downs, the running off... the trying to kill people. The dangerous behaviors.
The things that set them apart from "normal" children and if you were to witness this and spend time with these children you would see something off... So much didn't get said. It leaves people still thinking we are just "drugging our children"

Yes, and the psychiatrist that said no therapies for a 4yo? POD me as well!!! That is ridiculous... they should be working with this child while he is trying to be stabilized... constantly!!!
So because K is unstable I do nothing???

I thought they did try to do a good job though... I know it is hard... so much has to be cut.
I am sure they would have to follow 1 child for days to really get a good picture... maybe even longer???

I want to not be ashamed of Mental Illness for myself or K... yet every time I turn on the news it is someone killed/murdered a family or someone... oh and guess what? They were Mentally Ill... and then you here about the Drugging Of American Children...The Mentally Ill... Who don't need it. Mis-diagnosis'd. I am so tired of it. I just want my poor child to be happy and OK!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerryJ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You didn't miss much. The 1st 15 min. were a waste, basically intro stuff.
I, too, wanted to witness the meltdowns and rages. The one little boy who was struggling with-the container of toys seemed to be having a normal struggle, from what I could see. No one seemed to be able to offer any meltdowns for the camera.
Maybe the parents didn't want to go through the trauma of it, but if they're going to let a TV crew follow them around for a few days, they may as well do it all. It's just that the lack of real meltdowns made it less convincing for me.
</div></div>

Yes, if you're a viewer who has never witnessed or lived with a child during a meltdown, it's very easy to walk away from watching that program thinking that those parents were definitely overmedicating their children or aren't handling their children properly, Know what I mean??

I think that if they wanted to present the true reasons for seeking mental health help for their children show us why so we understand better. I can see why some parent may not want to show their kids in an all out rage attack, but it would have made it easier to understand how a parent can get to her rope's end and seek medical intervention to some degree. That was the part that was missing for me. Thanks Terry

Abbey

Spork Queen
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Abbey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Gosh...it's 3am and I'm half way through the video. My heart bleeds for Jacob. :crying:
</div></div>

It would have been helpful to see a full on rage for people to understand. I just looked at that adorable little boy and saw him transform into a heavily medicated young man. His speech was slurred and the obvious tics.

I had a few teachers in my oldest easy child's life suggest he was ADHD and that medication would help. He didn't rage...just had TONS of energy. Who knew he would grow into the slug he is today. :smile: I just saw him as being an active child.

Abbey

TerryJ2

Well, I think that's what the producers wanted. It was dramatized in regard to the zombie-eyed kids. Still, it was informative in its own way.
I think it would have been much more compelling to show a kid kicking his mom or whaling something at the camera (touche'), than to repeat and repeat the shot of a one-story little white house. Blah.

What I really want to know is how many of those psychiatrists are going to sue the network for misrepresenting their views. You know darn well that a lot of stuff was cut.