Dont laugh...seriously, would you give him eyeliner!?

lovelyboy

Ok people....I dont know if this has ever happened to you!?
My son got an electric guitar for his birthday....now he wants to pretend to play in his own rock band....He cant really play....just makes a noice!
So he puts all my silver chains around his neck and wants me to help him with black eyeliner, like Roderick in Dairy of a Wimpy kid books!
I dont use black eyeliner.....what would you do....play along and buy him some black eyeliner or what!?

DammitJanet

give him the black eyeliner. It washes off. No tattoos until over 18 and later if you can stop them.

I actually had the following conversation with my son. I got my six year old son his ear pierced because he was so cute. Well when he was about 14 he wanted to get his nose pierced. He announced this as we were driving down the highway. As calmly as all get out I said "well that will be just fine as long as you get your penis pierced too" He said WHAT???? I said yes, I want to put a chain through them so I can lead you around easily.

I never heard another word about the nose.

SuZir

Ok people....I dont know if this has ever happened to you!?
My son got an electric guitar for his birthday....now he wants to pretend to play in his own rock band....He cant really play....just makes a noice!
So he puts all my silver chains around his neck and wants me to help him with black eyeliner, like Roderick in Dairy of a Wimpy kid books!
I dont use black eyeliner.....what would you do....play along and buy him some black eyeliner or what!?

Eyeliners come cheap, so yes, I would buy one if I were you. Our rule with toys was always that for birthday and Christmas kids could get some more expensive toys they wanted and then they also got some toys we considered basic needs for them. Other than that they could get cheap ones if they really needed something to the play they really enjoyed. Or they could negotiate buying something they really wanted by paying part of it themselves (usually through doing extra chores etc.)

Your son has nice imaginative play going on and giving him that eyeliner helps making it even nicer. Of course you could also ask him earn this extra toy (as I said, eyeliners come cheap, it wouldn't need to be a big chore to earn it and that would be a good teaching moment also) by doing something extra.

And hey, at least he has understood the right way to start his rock career. Style is everything, learning to play comes secondary or even after that :bigsmile: If you don't believe you can ask from all those boys that went middle school with me and started their first bands then. Or from those who were in middle school together with my sons. And believe or not, one 'style first' boy from my middle school in fact ended up being a rock start (locally.) (There is also one other, but he had boring parents who had put him to music school when he was 6, so he knew how to play before he started to consider style.)

It's also bonus you will have some adorable pictures later. And blackmailing material when he is in his teens ;) (I have pictures of my sons in pink princess fantasy dresses, with tiaras, from their younger years. Even now I only have to imply of showing old family photos to their girlfriends/friends to get them moving :devil:)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...When I was a teen it was the "in" thing for guys to wear eyeliner... So... To me, it's fairly normal. What was weird, to me, was my son throwing a fit when Onyxx put makeup on him...

TerryJ2

I have no experience in this area, but considering that there is a character that he is imitating, and it's a guitar thing, I'd probably go with it.
If he refused to tell you what it was for, and had other, odd behaviors, then I would worry.
This seems clear cut.

Janet, good one!

DammitJanet

Look how much money Kiss made out of black and white face paint. You could have a budding billionaire on your hands. Hand him the make up...lmao.

it would pretty much be impossible to play Loded Diper without eyeliner.

i say hurry up and give it to him before he decides a sharpie marker will work equally well :-D

susiestar

Roll With It
Walmart sells elf (eyeslipsface) makeup and the prices are supercheap ($1-$3) and you could get his eyeliner for very little. Just make sure he isn't sharing it wth anyone. It will be cute and make AWESOME photos for when he is dating or when he has a kid.

Eyeliner, hairstyles, all that stuff is temporary.

Janet, I bow down to you as the Empress of All. Not sure how you thought up the penis piercing or pulled it out at exactly the right moment, but WOW!!! Totally impressive and AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

allhaileris

Crumbling Family Rock
Yep, I'd get it for him. Show him how to put it on. Make sure it's something soft so he can put it on easily. Let him know it's for at home only.

susiestar

Roll With It
I would also get him a gentle eye makeup remover. We like neutrogena, and J says the one made by eyeslipsface is also good. The eyeslipsface (elf) brand sold at walmart and target is problem the least expensive option but it is still a good product that won't hurt his skin or eyes. I would stay away from 'kiddie' makeup because generally it is not as good on their skin. Or that has been our reaction.

You can find videos on youtube for applying eyeliner if you just search.

InsaneCdn

Removal: in drama class, we used to put a bit of cold cream on our skin before we did make-up for the stage... it made it all come off much easier.

TerryJ2

Did you get him any?
Be sure you provide it with parameters ... don't wear it at school, etc. :) But you already knew that.