Doom and gloom

flutterby

Fly away!
difficult child is depressed - although she won't admit. She has slept most of the last 5 days, to the extent that I checked on her to make sure she was still breathing.

At 10:30pm she walks into the kitchen and just stares at me. She had been asleep since at least 2:30pm. She had therapy at 3pm and I couldn't get her up. I asked, "What's up?", and this is how the conversation went:

difficult child: (angrily - not quite yelling) I'm tired!
Me: I'm sorry.
difficult child: I can't sleep!
Me: Honey, you've been sleeping most of the time, maybe that's why....
difficult child: NO! [The rats] won't shut up!
Me: There is nothing I can do about that.
difficult child: Well, what am I supposed to do? They wake me up every night!
Me: You could move them into the other room.
difficult child: Where are we going to put them? There's no room.
Me: We can make room. It's not hard.
difficult child: When are we going to do it?
Me: Not tonight. (because she will change her mind about it again)
difficult child: So, what am I supposed to do now?
Me: You can sleep in the spare room.
difficult child: (glares at me, stomps into the spare room and doesn't quite slam the door)

I get online to review her school work for tomorrow so that I'm prepared. I was watching a video instruction. difficult child storms out of the spare room.

difficult child: Does that have to be so loud?
Me: It's not loud. I can turn it down a little, but not much.
difficult child: Nevermind. I'm up now.

Well, precious little angel, I'm sorry to have put you out while I prepare to help you with your schoolwork because you don't want to work with the teachers directly and you meltdown every 5 seconds.

She makes me tired.

And Thursday she is going to spend time with her new PCA. After her behavior when she met the PCA, I'm impressed the PCA still wants to work with her. There will be hell to pay come Thursday - before and after.

T

TeDo

I am so sorry flutter. Sounds like you have your hands full. Wish I could do something to help. Best I can do is send LOTS of {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}}

flutterby

Fly away!
And since she didn't go to therapist today, and I didn't want to not show up (cause therapist won't charge us the no-show fee of $140), and because I don't have my normal appointment this week because I'm having oral surgery instead, I went to difficult child's appointment. I try not to talk about difficult child at my appointments, but I needed to let therapist know that difficult child is depressed and sleeping all the time. therapist told me:

therapist: difficult child is more sick mentally than you are physically.
Me: I know.
therapist: I don't even know how to classify her.

:hammer:

Star*

call 911........call 911
Okay - I gotta go with her on the rat noise. I have for no rhyme or reason hyper sensitivity to sound. I wish I could tell you what the triggers are, but it's the dangedest thing. When it hits me? I can't control it. It just makes me irritable. My Mom suspects allergies. She could be right. I've been like this most of my life. When I had my rats some days their little noises didn't bug me; then other days the sounds they made? Made me insane to the point where I'd have to take the Wodent Wheel out of Jwi's cage and set it on the ground or shut the door, and we did end up putting them in the spare room. I'd be in the computer and - well needless to say it happens.

So I would guess add a dose of teen hormones on top of that? Lucky You! (not)

I did buy a pair of noise cancelling headphones from Staples, but Mom saw them and before I could try them -*poof* gone. lol Maybe those would help her?

You know what I was thinking? This may sound kinda out there - but she seemed to be an artistic kind of young lady to me when we met. They now make a paint that you paint on and then you can use Dry Erase markers on the wall. You can get Dry erase markers in really cool colors now - even metalics and dark colors. Maybe when she gets like this instead of just shutting down if she had a wall she could draw on? Or better yet - they have black board paint - why not paint her walls BLACK blackboard - and then let her get some chalk glow in the dark chalk with a black light? She could do all kinds of interesting things. Just a thought.

Hugs

flutterby

Fly away!
I'm hypersensitive to noise, too. The problem is, we have this conversation several times a week and she ultimately refuses to do anything about it - except complain.

H

HaoZi

Not a bad idea, though in my worst depression in my teen years I slept about 20 hours a day.

flutterby

Fly away!
I did, too, and so did my son. I'd like to rule it out, though, because this has hit so suddenly and she has been complaining of not feeling well. Which I know can be from depression, too. She's been major mood-swing girl tonight.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well the mono thing sounds good to me - because.....Last year when I got diagnosis with it? They told me it can stay in your system for a long time. I don't know HOW long, but this year I got bronchitis or some bug on the 4th of April. I've been down literally over a Month and this last week and before I've been about able to sleep for 11-12 hours and cough my head off, gag, go back to bed and hardly breathe. Called the doctor's office and they asked me if I had mono recently? Thought that was an odd question to ask a 46 year old - but I said last year. They said Mono is going around. I'm thinking - GREAT - how long does this stuff stick with you? I'm weak as a wet sheet.

So I go back on Monday. As far as the hypersensitivity to noise? Keep in mind - she has the coping skills of a teenager with emotional problems - (not the best). It could be even when you do talk to her about it? She has NOT a clue what to do about it - even if YOU are making suggestions? You're Mom. Remember these kids like to figure it out on their own - so maybe point her in the direction of resources? I don't know. I still get witchy and I know what to do too. Ear plugs. Foam disposable ear plugs - but if I'm in WM and it happens? I could still smack someone. I'm really not pleasant to be around and it's best if you just leave me alone.