DORE method

RB

I have been MIA for quite some time. Does anyone have any information on DORE and/or other cerebellar stimulation exercises?

Thanks.

Marguerite

The exercises etc are great. But they are not new, nor are they only available through DORE (at their high prices).

I remember my sister's son being given these exercises (long before DORE existed) when he was a pre-teen. He's now 40 years old. My brother in law put a lot of adapted play equipment in the garage, all designed according to the local Occupational Therapist. The whole treatment program cost them a couple of hundred dollars, that includes the gear they installed. He ad to do the exercises at home in te garage on teir home-made equipment every day. With the DORE system, you go in once a week (or once a fortnight) across the city to a place where you use their equipment. Not as often, a lot more expensive, probably less long-term benefit because you don't have ready access at home.

The sort of stuff brother in law installed - a plank as a see-saw, with a cheap basketball to throw back and forth. Some home-made bean bags filled with rice (my sister made those) also to toss wile her son was on the see-saw or the swing. A cargo net hung from the ceiling, which they used as a swing. he also found he liked the feeing of being wrapped in the cargo net, but as they swung him in the net ad also he had to learn to catch and toss the bean bags while swinging, it helped the development of his vestibular system. All home-made, all accessible daily, and none of it via DORE even though what they do is the same sort of stuff.

Also, a lot of new technology will give you the same sort of balance exercises - we found a Wii Fit does a lot of great stuff. A lot cheaper, too!

I researched into DORE a bit, then double-checked with my sister, and then with easy child while she was still studying Occupational Therapy, and found that the bloke who "invented" DORE, had a lot of these therapies prescribed for his daughter. Then he became an "expert" and patented stuff that previously was commonly and freely available. But he put it all together in one space and advertised. Parents like us who aer desperate to help our kids NOW, find this sort of packaged and we-ll advertised stuff very appealing.

In summary - it's good stuff. But expensive. You can get the same therapies, more professionally applied, if you go through the more conventional routes

In Australia we can access this sort of stuff through first the GP, then a referral to the Occupational Therapist (OT) or physio, then we can claim it back trough various health insurance means. DORE can't be so easily claimed back on insurance because people can (and often do) self-refer. So I think DORE tanked in Australia, because we simply don't need that product packaged in that way.

If you are thinking about this, I would strongly suggest a referral to an Occupational Therapist (OT) first, then ask them what is available. ALso, get a Wii Fit for the family anyway - then get everybody using it. DORE costs thousands, and up. A Wii Fit costs a few hundred and can be used for a lot of other games too. Or if you decide you don't like it, you could always sell it and get some of your money back. Can't do that with therapy.

My recommendation with DORE - save your money. But the ideas are good. However, it's not a cure, no matter what anyone tells you.

Marg

Last edited: