flutterby

Fly away!
psychiatrist increased Remeron to 30mg cause it was starting to peter out already - the sleep benefit was. 15mg didn't leave her with daytime fatigue. Do you think the 30mg will? She also wrote a PRN script for Doxapine 25mg for sleep. She said she could take it with the Remeron.

Won't that be a whole lot of sedation?

My other concern is that psychiatrist said Doxapine doesn't help with anxiety like Remeron does, and difficult child does much better with 2 AD's for anxiety so I really want to keep the Remeron.

She was also going to start difficult child on a low dose of Buspar, but didn't write that prescription. I didn't realize it until we got home, so I have a call into her. Does that cause fatigue and/or loopiness? I figured we would try that starting on a weekend to see how she does.

smallworld

I just looked Doxepin up in my psychopharm book. It's a tricyclic antidepressant -- same class of medications as Amitriptyline (Elavil) and Nortriptyline (Pamelor), which are excellent for anxiety as well as insomnia. I'm not sure why the psychiatrist would say Doxepin wouldn't help with anxiety. I myself have taken both Amitriptyline and Nortriptyline (low doses, in fact), and they help me a lot with anxiety.

My younger daughter M takes 45 mg Remeron for anxiety and sleep. She's very small for her age (just reached 69 pounds). While she sleeps heavily at night and has a little difficulty awakening in the morning, she is not sleepy during the day.

My son J trialed Buspar at age 12. It made him so dizzy that he couldn't get used to it. He ditched it after a week. I know others here have used it with positive results.

Josie

My daughter took 10 mg of Doxepin along with 50 mg of Trazodone for sleep last fall. She weighs about 85 lbs. She was not sleepy during the day.

She was taking it for headache relief with the added benefit of helping her get to sleep. We were able to reduce her Trazodone while she was on it.

flutterby

Fly away!
I asked specifically about Nortriptyline and Amitriptyline and psychiatrist said they don't help with anxiety. Sigh...

We're going to just try the increase with the Remeron first. I don't want her taking too many sedating medications at one time.

smallworld

My psychopharm book lists Amitriptyline, Nortriptyline and Doxepin all as being prescribed for the treatment of anxiety. My own psychiatrist thinks Amitriptyline, which I currently take, is better than the SSRIs for anxiety treatment.