DR wants difficult child to go on AD's, among other things

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
First let me just list what is the majority of difficult child's diet, in order of most consumed:

Coffee
Cigarettes
Coffee
Cigarettes
Tea
Occasionally one meal per day - usually mac and cheese for lunch or an actual home cooked meal by me when she's around or a bagel with lots of butter or an egg sandwich.

She avoids fruits because she's afraid of her allergies (she is allergic to a lot of fruits, which is a recent development) and every once in a great while, she will have a salad of greens.

Her symptoms are dizzyness, headaches, mood swings, weight loss that she's now gained back, and lately she's had her period for a month.

The only medication she takes is the depo shot for birth control and advil, fairly often. She hasn't had her period for over a year and now she's had it for a month, with moods to match!

The Dr saw her, initially for the period issue, but addressed everything else (for a while there she was having difficult child come in every 2 weeks for a weight check). Anyway, Dr prescribed some kind of migraine medications for the headaches, told her to cut back on coffee (which difficult child hasn't done), consider quitting smoking (which difficult child won't do) and suggested that difficult child go on an antidepressant (which difficult child refuses to do).

I personally think that difficult child could benefit from an AD, however, I do not think it's imperative at this time. What I would have liked the Dr to suggest was perhaps difficult child seeing a dietician to give her an idea of foods she can eat in a rush or on the run that are at least healthy. A large part of her eating habits (or lack thereof) is that she's always dashing somewhere and foregoes eating and replaces it with coffee. It's obvious to me and those I've discussed this with that the problems are due mostly to her diet. She's not having migraines - she's having headaches. There is a difference and I see when difficult child has the headaches - they are not migraines and I'm appalled that the Dr would prescribe her heavy duty medications for migraines. It would seem that the Dr might have suggested eating food, and healthy food at that, to ease the symptoms that difficult child is having, along with cutting way back on the coffee.

difficult child signed the papers for me to be able to discuss her health with the Dr. I'm thinking of leaving a message to ask about taking difficult child to see a dietician - would you? And I'd like to know why she suggested AD's as well. Seriously, all of this is rooted in her diet and can be helped naturally. I hate the idea of started the medications again with difficult child - she forgets and they cause more havoc than good with her.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There are many types of non-migraine vascular headaches that migraine medications can help. If she'll see a dietician that couldn't hurt.

I've been walking a tightrope between keeping nourished, not getting any fatter, AND not being able to eat a healthier diet.

A dietician should be able to help with all of that. My guess is that the caffeine and smoking are the big triggers for the headaches. Nicotine and caffeine are both vasoconstrictors and when they wear off you get a rebound effect on the blood vessels which can lead to one nasty headache.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
GN, difficult child was put on this same medication about a year ago to 'test' if she had migraines and the medication didn't do anything for relief so the Dr said, "okay, it's not migraines" and advised difficult child to stop drinking so much coffee and more water. Said she was dehydrated. So, what happened between then and now? This Dr, lately, seems pill happy to me. Even when I went in, she pulled her script pad out and was ready to write me a script for something I didn't want and as it turned out, didn't need. Thanks GN~

I did put a call into her. Now I wait.

N

Nomad

If the doctor thinks she needs an AD, personally, I think it should be taken very seriously.

As a side note, Elavil is an AD and it is commonly used off label to treat migraines.

Is she seeing a t-doctor?

We just found out that the local university treats for $20 a visit. PhD students. My friend's son goes and they have been happy with- the services there.

M

ML

I agree that it all starts with nutrition. Unfortunately it has to be her choice. Keep taking care of your health and hope she's watching and that some day (hopefully very soon) she will make better choices. That's all you can do. Hugs.

N

Nomad

It is interesting (could think of other words) how so many docs do not discuss nutrition / exercise / lifestyle even when it is soooo likely to be a contributory factor in the presenting problem.

Would you your daughter be open to the idea of going to a nutritionist? Perhaps the local university or hospital could recommend someone in private practice. Even the doctor might do so.

Love ML's idea of you seeing an example of good nutrition and other good choices. It can be an influencing factor. However, as we have all seen here, you can lead a horse to water (example, nutritionist) but you can't make him drink....

Don't forget, if your daughter took some steps (good nutrition, exercise, etc.) toward better mental health, perhaps a low dose of AD would do the trick and/or the doctor would only recommend her taking it for a short period of time.

Additionally, there are some vitamins that are known to help with mild depression. They primarily include: Fish Oil, D3 and the B Vitamins.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Nomad, I do take the idea of difficult child taking AD's seriously, which is why I'm so against it. She doesn't remember to take them as she should and so the adverse effects of taking and forgetting are more serious than her just having mood swings. Her mania becomes exaggerated and likewise her depression. It becomes a very serious situation. She's better off without them if she doesn't take them consistently each and every day, Know what I mean??

She refuses to see a therapist, so our family Dr is her only resource at this time. She's a great person, very helpful, but lately she always seems pressed for time and seems to be more free treating the symptoms instead of treating the cause. I am not in agreement with that kind of approach, especially in difficult child's case, as she's been through a myriad of medications and is very much against it herself. She's untrusting. I wish she would see a therapist but it's not worth a darn if she's not ready, is it? Thanks~

DammitJanet

Sounds like a lot of young people today...coffee and cigs.

That could be me except replace the coffee with diet coke, but I do eat at least something during the day. I think you are right that she needs to find something that she can eat that is fast for on the go times.

You said she likes bagels, have you seen those new (or fairly new) bagel things in the freezer section that heat up in the microwave in 15 seconds? They are good! They have cream cheese in the middle. Or you could make up some ham and egg biscuits and freeze them, or use english muffins if you dont like biscuits.

You are a cook so Im sure you could think of some excellent and nourishing, easy to grab food to just throw in the freezer. She could also keep those power bars in her purse. Or trail mix. Even ensure drinks.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks Janet, this thread's responses have inspired me to plan a shopping trip with difficult child so she can pick out 'on the go' foods she likes and I can check to make sure they aren't loaded with crud.

For YEARS I have encouraged both girls to take a multi and I think that would help a lot, but alas, they just don't remember to take it.

Them not remebering to take their BCpills is what eventually led to difficult child getting the depo shot and easy child going on the nuva ring for birth control - they kept forgetting to take their pill and that's risky for the obvious reasons, but they were always suffering from break through bleeding as well! The BCP was something I never forgot to take. I was too afraid of the alternative! LOL.

N

Nomad

No, it is rarely worth it when they aren't ready. I totally get that!

We stopped paying for difficult children t-doctor recently 'cause she was only sporadically doing the work. I did really like the form of therapy the therapist was using and saw progress. All of a sudden, she wants to go and says she will work harder.

We told her we would be open for now to pay for her to go to the local university where it is less expensive. But she would have to do all the footwork, attend regularly and there would have to be indications that she is at least trying. She is seriously thinking about this. It's nice to see motivation...a huge factor in success.

Jog...we too have had problems with- our daughter taking her medications regularly. And when she was on an AD, actually, she had more problems with- mood swings. In the end, everyone decided that AD's were not for her. The medication she is on helps with- mood swings and depression.

Wishing well...I know how frustrating it all is.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi JoG--

Without having met your daughter and knowing very little about her personally....the listing of her diet smacks of dehydration. First symptoms of dehydration are headaches and dizziness. And if all she's eating is sugar and carbs, no wonder you see mood swings--from sluggish to 'sugar high', I would imagine...

And then any withdrawal from caffeine or nicotine also causes headaches...so if she goes too long without either one, well, it's pain time--time for Advil--which can upset anyone's stomache if they take it without food...so now she's eating even less.

It sounds as if your daughter has gotten herself into a viscious cycle of first causing herself pain and then taking the "wrong" things to relieve the pain, thus causing more pain....and on and on and on.

While a visit to a dietician might be in order, in my humble opinion she is going to have to be willing to break a few addictions (sugar, caffeine, and nicotine) to really experience any changes or see a lot of improvement.

Good luck!!

--DaisyFace

flutterby

Fly away!
I've read report after report about how doctors really don't talk nutrition with their patients. It's a very small part of their education in medical school. And there is the assumption that patients aren't going to follow it and want an easy fix, so they throw medications at it.

When I had my heart attack, I was told to go on a diabetic type diet by one cardiologist and just to cut out saturated fats by another. But, neither one offered any information on just exactly what that would be. As I had never had a weight or health problems in the past, I was really ignorant of what was good and what wasn't.

Seriously, with all the doctors I've seen, only one has suggested different types of diets - to see if any of my issues are food related - and I only saw him one time - because other than what he offered he couldn't help me.

So, when you talk with difficult child's doctor, I would really push for him/her to discuss this issue with difficult child and see about a referral to a nutritionist.

witzend

I think I would definitely do the shopping thing. Years ago when I was having a really hard time emotionally, I did essentially the same thing. Coffee & Cigarettes and beer. At one point I was down to 87 lbs, and I am 5'9". I had lots of other physical maladies. My doctor told me that he didn't care what I ate, so long as I ate 2,000 calories a day. He was fine with it being cookies and chips, if that was what I wanted.

He told me that there had been studies of children done where they were allowed access to all types of foods, junky and healthy. The kids always started out with candy and cake and junk. But eventually, given the choice, they self-regulated to a balanced diet. I did it, and eventually built up enough of an appetite on oreos that eventually I started eating meals. I still don't eat three squares a day. But I eat a small breakfast and dinner.

Let her choose what she wants. She'll get around to eating right. ;)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thank you, Witz, Heather. When I was her age I basically ate one meal a day and smoked and drank and worked and danced. I mean, really, I was very skinny and just sort of fluttered through the months. Then I began getting dizzy and having faint spells, nausea, etc. I ate better and more frequently, but it still wasn't great, but it was better. I just want to see difficult child get to that point.

Last night her 'old man' came over and we were chatting. Apparently, he has told her to cut back on coffee as well. They are both difficult child's so despite his age and the fact that he has two young boys, he's still sort of oblivious himself, but he obviously eats!! At least H and I are not the only one's who see that this is mostly a dietary thing with her.

Her Dr never called me back yesterday so I'm calling her again today. I realize she's busy and this is a holiday week, but c'mon.

DammitJanet

I take it you didnt get to the grocery store...lol.

Maybe between you and the boyfriend, you can convince her to eat more. Will she eat string cheese? I love that stuff! Its protein. Or even keep those packs of crackers with peanut butter in the middle on the counter where she can grab them on the way out the door. Even better...if it was me..you know those little debbie chocolate covered peanut butter wafer bars? YUM!