Dropped off on our doorstep

comatheart

I'm struggling to tell my son his "new" diagnosis. See last comment above if you missed it.

He leaves off psychosis from all of his paperwork at dr offices (i know cause he's had a lot of them lately.) I've called him out on it, despite having several well documented episodes in the last 18mos. He gets extremely defensive about it! His idea of psychosis & psychotic are very warped. He's definitely dilusional a lot of the time and doesn't even realize it.

How should i approach it? This diagnosis will help him get services, but only if he tells people he has it!.

Lil

The substance abuse sometimes sends up red-flags in the minds of the people who do the approvals. I know for many programs, substance abuse of any kind stops you from receiving them...but generally that's if that's the only problem. For instance, if you have liver damage from alcohol abuse and you would get better if you quit drinking, you won't be approved for Medicaid in my state - but if you are to the point that quitting won't matter - if the damage can't be reversed and you are in liver failure for instance - then you will be approved. Often though, it takes a hearing to get it as the medical review team turns down pretty much everyone. (I did Medicaid hearings for a very short time...we had people turned down who actually died before the hearing - they were that sick - but mrt turned them down.)

But, throw out the substance dependency, you still have the leg and Schizoaffective disorder. So maybe you tell him quite flatly, that he isn't going to get assistance on the leg alone (people in wheelchairs can work) and he has to name all the diagnosis in order to qualify? Or...maybe let him think you don't think it's a correct diagnosis either...but if putting it over on the government by claiming it will get him benefits, then he needs to go for it?

Lil

I found this publication which explains how a person without a work history can receive SSDI.
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10026.pdf

Thanks! That makes sense to me now. They aren't receiving their own work-related SSDI benefits, they are drawing on their dead or disabled parent, which normally a child only does to age 18, but since they, themselves are disabled, they can continue to do so as an adult! I had no idea this program existed.

BusynMember

Jabs, Jumper is not against working in Corrections. What can I tell her to talk her out of it? LOL.

I mean, she isn't sure what sh e wants to do in criminal justice yet and has not ruled out Corrections (shudder). Nightmare for mom!!

Lil

I'll tell him to check this thread...but there's more to corrections than prison guarding. There's always probation and parole, juvenile office, administration, etc. She's only 18...there's a ton of time for her to make up her mind.

Childofmine

one day at a time
Comatheart...just to say I am reading along and praying for good things to come for you and your son. I am so sorry for what is going on.