Dropping of Special Education Services request letter with difficult child 1's school today!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I don't know if we'll even end up using this resource class I'm asking for, but the therapist urged me to get my letter written and dropped off TODAY (I was supposed to get it done two weeks ago but I just wasn't sure if it was the right time).

They have 15 days to respond, which puts us into the second week of January since we go out on a 2-week winter break next Monday.

The therapist also thought the independent study might be good for difficult child 1, especially if it satisfies his desire to stay in lacrosse and graduate from this school. AND he could conceivably have the resource class on campus if we go this route, while still doing his work at home.

The letter and set of past evaluations will be dropped off for the principal and the school psychologist, who was a former student of our therapist at the local university! Plus, his daughter is working for the school psychiatric as part of her psychology internship. He wanted me to be sure to mention in the cover letter that we are seeing him for therapy. He said we shouldn't encounter the political shuffling at this school like we experienced in middle school when I requested help for difficult child 1 but got denied. That school identified that he had some problems but never explained why or agreed that they were on the hook to address them. They chalked it all up to his personality! Whatever. It's a new school now, a new day.

So fingers crossed...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Whatamess, you are the only one who caught my typo! I meant "dropping off" not "dropping of" :) We're asking for services in the form of a resource class mostly. ALthough the therapist made it sound like getting the OHI designation was pretty much a foot-in-the-door strategy to better support for difficult child 1, and that we could ask for whatever we want down the road because he would have this designation.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Today the school psychologist called to set up our first meeting, now slated for January 5th. She said she had never before received a request like this with as much supporting documentation as I had submitted, lol! I'd sent copies of the 8th grade evaluation done by the school when I'd requested an IEP back then based on his anxiety (which got denied), the neuropsychologist report from that same year, and also a university report for a family ADHD genetics study we were involved in, and the letter from the previous year from his GI stating his medical problems. So a few more weeks to go before anything even happens.

Meanwhile, difficult child 1 has an upper GI study and small bowel follow-through scheduled for 12/30 -- I think this new Gi is not convinced his issues are from IBS... wasn't mentioned anywhere on the orders, but abdominal pain, Crohn's and history of ileal stricture were stated clearly. At this point, I don't really care WHAT is going on, I just want it fixed so he can get back to living a somewhat normal life.