Littleboylost

Long road but the path ahead holds hope.
How Iceland Got Teens to Say No to Drugs

Interesting that we in Canada have reduced after school resources and programs. Drug use has increase.

We had extracurricular programs for our son. When he experienced adolescent depression at 14 drugs were readily available and he for caught up in the drug culture.

This article indicates that Drug awareness campaigns don't work and programs that provide skill sets and better coping mechanisms work.

Perhaps we should be saying "Just say no to anti drug campaigns." And yes to teen community engagement programs.

What have we got wrong here in North America?

BusynMember

Parental non ilnvolement and teens running around unsupervised after school. Some of tjat is our own jobs that make us less available. I read where more teen trouble happens between 3 and 5 when the kids are alone. We could always use more activities and supervised teen areas. But we cant force our kids to go. My hus was stationed in Iceland for a few years. It is very low population...probably much easier to kerp an eye on things.

Littleboylost

I agree with that statement of low population SWOT. But if we based their experience on community efforts and programs their experience would be comparable. All good food for thought.

We kept our son busy in after school programs and such. He said he still felt lonely. Maybe being a stay at home mom would have helped. Who knows. My girlfriend was a stay at home mom and her eldest is an addict. All so individualized.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
But you can be in a crowded room and feel lonely. It's not always about who is around.

Some people just feel certain ways no matter what the outside situation. It's inside of them.

We kept our son busy in after school programs and such. He said he still felt lonely. Maybe being a stay at home mom would have helped. Who knows. My girlfriend was a stay at home mom and her eldest is an addict. All so individualized.

I was a stay-at-home mom when daughter was young and worked very part-time while daughter was in elementary and middle school then a stay-at-home mom again during her high school years. I was also involved in volunteering both at her school and extra curricular activities.

Daughter was involved in youth theater from age 5 through high school. She was also involved at church and did volunteer work with animals. There was still the intense feeling of not quite fitting in and feeling totally alone in a crowded room.

I can only attribute the feelings of loneliness to her mental health issues, but really, who knows.

I started a new post about a documentary called “Generation Found” that showcases some of the recovery programs we have available here in Houston, TX.

ColleenB

We had our son in lots of afterschool activities and I was a stay at home mum until he was in middle school ..... so those things are great but you still have no control.

I thought we did it all the way we were supposed to. It didn’t shield him from addiction.

AppleCori

Oldest step-son was a star athlete, but quit sports and everything else when he got into drugs.

I think a smaller school might have helped, as kids are less likely to fall through the cracks unnoticed.

But, maybe, nothing would have stopped him from getting drugs.

BusynMember

Another thing.. my daughter who did drugs disliked group activities and only volunteered because she had to when on parole. She didnt like it. You cant force your kid to enjoy or participate in activities. My daughter would go, if I insisted, but find the most troubled kid there and goof off with the child. She had no interest or ability in sports. She was good at artsy, solitary things which also tend to attract other kids eho tend to think drugs is part of the creative process. She wouldnt go to church because of the various churches stances on homosexuality. This appalled her as she had gay friends, and I dont blame her for staying away. She told off a youth pastor once who said it was wrong and then marched out of the youth group and called me to pick her up. She also told me the church kids did drugs in the parking lot (sigh).

Last edited:

Littleboylost

Oldest step-son was a star athlete, but quit sports and everything else when he got into drugs.

I think a smaller school might have helped, as kids are less likely to fall through the cracks unnoticed.

But, maybe, nothing would have stopped him from getting drugs.
My son went to very small schools. Grade school 165 and high school 490. It didn't matter.

BusynMember

I dont really think a country our size can stop drugs. If a community gets really into trying this, the kid can hang out in another community. I also doubt that there is little drug use even in Iceland.

The solution has to lay with each individual. Prohibition didnt work for alcohol. How is another drug different? If

somebody wants it, somebody will get it for him.

I know this sounds hopeless, snd I dont mean it to be. I just mean that the answer is within each person.

by the way, to detox from Xanax you MUST get medical help. Going off of benzos alone can kill you.

Littleboylost

I dont really think a country our size can stop drugs. If a community gets really into trying this, the kid can hang out in another community. I also doubt that there is little drug use even in Iceland.

The solution has to lay with each individual. Prohibition didnt work for alcohol. How is another drug different? If

somebody wants it, somebody will get it for him.

I know this sounds hopeless, snd I dont mean it to be. I just mean that the answer is within each person.

by the way, to detox from Xanax you MUST get medical help. Going off of benzos alone can kill you.
Drug use is as bad in Iceland as anywhere in Europe. It is a small country yes. It is a small study yes.
For me the point is "Just say no to drugs" and anti drug campaigns clearly do not work. We need to focus funds on engagement and recovery. For me I think that is what this article is focusing on.
I have a dear friend who is Icelandic and was in the music scene in the 80s. Drugs are bad in Europe they just manage it differently in the media. Iceland "per capita" is no exception.

AppleCori

My son went to very small schools. Grade school 165 and high school 490. It didn't matter.

Step son’s high school had 375 students. I have wondered if a small school of less than 100-200 students would have worked better. Maybe it wouldn’t have made any difference, though.