Drug test question. Help!

Californiablonde

I am applying for summer jobs at various temp agencies because I can no longer afford not to work in the summer. Lets put it this way: If I don't get a job this summer my son and I are homeless (no exaggeration.) I have an interview tomorrow afternoon with a temp agency to apply summer time work. At this point I will take anything, including minimum wage where house work if I have to.

This morning I received a confirmation email from the agency verifying my interview date and time. They also said they will be drug testing me on the spot! As most of you know, I take a CRAP ton of psychiatric medications, plus Xanax on an as needed basis. Will these drugs show up in my system? I took a .5 milligram pill of Xanax last night around 4:30, and I took all of my other psychiatric medications this morning around 7:30.

I am so scared they are going to tell me I tested positive, and I won't get a job. I could also skip all of my night time medications tonight, but that will mean I will get no sleep at all whatsoever. Does somebody know if they can test for prescription medications? Help!

BusynMember

I dont think they test for non abused psychiatric drugs. Ive had many drug tests for jobs and never failed one. I take Clonazapen 1 mg at night and never got called for it. I take paroxatene, 40 mg, an antidepressant, and ditto.

Just relax and go. If it were me, I would not skip my medications, but you can. Long acting medications like, say, Lithium will still be in your system, but again i dont think they test for mood stabilizers or antidepressants. Maybe low doses of benzos are okay. Lots of people take them. Maybe they test for overly high doses of that.

Good luck!!

ksm

They will probably make a list of all your prescribed medications. Take your bottles...its best to be up front. My daughter gets random drug screen...and the tester has us show what medications she had taken, and even asks for over the counter medications and lists them.

Ksm

BusynMember

They never did that to me. I dont know if its legal to ask if you take medications and what for. But maybe keep them in your purse. I never told anyone what I took. It never crossed my mind.

Ive had lots of blood tests for jobs, and nobody asked even in child care jobs. I got a job at Head Start, no problem, and three hospitals. Take advice but dont worry.

Copabanana

I do not know what to say. I agree with those who say it is your business what prescribed medication you take, and that you need not disclose. But I agree, too, to take your bottles with the prescriptions. Xanex is likely to show up on a test, but I do not know the half life. (How long it takes to get out of your system.)
I do not know that I would stop my prescribed medications. You could hurt yourself that way. In more ways than one.

Could you get a roommate to help with expenses? Is daughter no longer with you? Will social services help you with food stamps or aid? Is there agriculture by you? What about a cannery job which is seasonal, in the summer?

What about Unemployment Benefits over the summer. In my state qualification is based upon reason for leaving your last employment. The last employment is literally that. Even if it was one hour. If the job (not self-employment) was only an hour and it ended for no fault of yours, or if you were laid off, you would qualify. The school district could not do anything to stop you. Any questions you have, ask me. I worked for Unemployment Insurance in my state doing determinations of eligibility.

AppleCori

Hi Cali,

I don't think the employer is told anything about any prescription medications that you take.

I think that would be covered under HIPPA privacy laws.

I don't think it would be a good idea for you to skip your medications and not sleep the night before the interview.

My daughter with bi-polar takes medications and she has never been turned down for a job after the drug screening. A few months ago she had to take a drug test, and when she told the tester that she took some prescriptions, they told her they probably wouldn't show up, but if anything came back on the test, she would be notified and could bring in her scrips.

Good luck on the interview.

Just go in and be positive and happy.

I'm sure you will do fine!

Appl

KTMom91

Just let the testing service know what you're taking. The last time I was drug tested, I listed absolutely every medication I had taken over the past week, including OTC allergy medications. Better safe than sorry. As far as I know, the company was never told about any of it, just that I'd passed.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Let them know what you are taking and what dosages. You should be fine on the xanax so long as the test results show normal therapeutic ranges based on dosages prescribed.

I've been on benzos for years and years and have never failed a drug screening.

I've even taken a drug screening to work for state gov't as a contractor while on vicodin for a neck injury. I called the testing site and told them what i was taking and how much/how often. I was told to bring in the pill bottle when I came in to give my sample.

At the time I gave my sample (having last taken the vicodin before bed the night before) I was told that so long as my levels showed that I was not abusing the medication, I would be fine.

HOWEVER, the contracting house, while hiring me, would not allow me to start work until I had a clearance letter from my treating physician and had been re-tested clean of the vicodin. I was told this would not have been the case if I had been taking the medication on a chronic basis.

Your other medications? If they give you a form to list medications, list 'em. The xanax is the one you have to worry about. Bring the bottle with, make sure pill counts match RX dates and dosing instructions, and don't sweat it.

Californiablonde

Thank you all for your advice. Turns out I was not drug tested after all. During the interview I learned that their clients are mostly looking for permanent employees, not temporary ones. I don't know why this particular place would call themselves a temp agency when they don't hire, or barely hire people for temp jobs. They should just call themselves an Employment agency. Anyway, on the off chance that somebody may be hiring for a temp job, I was told to call back late June to see if they have any summer work. The lady was very nice and I think the interview went well otherwise. She gave me her card and told me to call back next month. In the mean time, I have applied to another temp agency called Apple One. Apparently it's a well known agency, and they for sure do hire for temp work. I have downloaded my resume and filled out the application. As soon as I am available to work, I am supposed to notify them and they will try and set me up for a temp job. Wish me luck!

Californiablonde

I do not know what to say. I agree with those who say it is your business what prescribed medication you take, and that you need not disclose. But I agree, too, to take your bottles with the prescriptions. Xanex is likely to show up on a test, but I do not know the half life. (How long it takes to get out of your system.)
I do not know that I would stop my prescribed medications. You could hurt yourself that way. In more ways than one.

Could you get a roommate to help with expenses? Is daughter no longer with you? Will social services help you with food stamps or aid? Is there agriculture by you? What about a cannery job which is seasonal, in the summer?

What about Unemployment Benefits over the summer. In my state qualification is based upon reason for leaving your last employment. The last employment is literally that. Even if it was one hour. If the job (not self-employment) was only an hour and it ended for no fault of yours, or if you were laid off, you would qualify. The school district could not do anything to stop you. Any questions you have, ask me. I worked for Unemployment Insurance in my state doing determinations of eligibility.
I don't qualify for unemployment or food stamps, since technically I still have a job. I tried several years ago, and then again, and got turned down both times. As for a roommate, we live in a teeny tiny little one bedroom apartment, and we are already squeezing in three beds into one room. Not to mention our lease states we can only have three people living there, or we will get evicted. Looks like a temp job is my only choice.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
CB.

If you are dealing with those type of agencies, you won't be tested until an employer is interested in contracting with the agency to take you on.

Think about it. The agency could retain you, test you, you could test clean, and go out and get high the next day.

I was dealing with technical consulting firms, which work a bit differently than clerical agencies.

It was also years ago when top-flight IT people could pretty well call the shots. I had "headhunters" calling me, not the other way around.