Dysfunctional conversations

Malika

You have to laugh where you can, I suppose. Some of my conversations with J are truly dysfunctional, in the sense of utterly disjointed. An example: at the moment I have a bad cold and chest infection; a neighbour picked J up from school as I didn't even feel up to going out. Tonight was the night he usually has his roller skating class. He wasn't aware of this - he doesn't really know days and what happens on days yet - but I thought I'd mention it and say that I was sorry he missed it and I would take him next week. At this news, J, who had been happily playing with his toys, threw himself on the ground and went into a kind of crying whine about how he wanted to go roller skating now. I completely ignored him (from past experience), picked up a lego toy he has been building and asked, as if nothing in the world were going on: "Does this piece go there?" "Oh yes," he instantly said in a bright tone, getting up from the floor... Dialogues from the madhouse!

InsaneCdn

Ummm... and WHY did you even bring it up? (parenting 101, rule 53... never bring up missed events - they child may, but not the parent)

But... I'd have to say that if J was THAT easy to distract, then he really wasn't all THAT disappointed.

Ktllc

LOL. sorry, it is kind of funny. Just use it to your advantage, no shame in it really. It works, it is a healthy way out. That's all it matters.
Sometimes, when Sweet Pea throws a fit, I find myself telling her: that does not fase me, remember you have 2 older brothers and I have seen a lot. LOL
If you can distract him most of the times, J might soon realize that throwing fits just does not work anymore and forget about it. But ild habits are sometimes hard to get rid off... so just enjoy tonight's success!

Malika

No, no shame in it, Kttllc (by the way, what is the origin of your forum name, being curious?)! Of course, J is not always this easy to distract or get out of a "fit". If he were, he'd be a neuro-typical child and I wouldn't have to come to this forum... :) But I have definitely noticed that if I don't emotionally react to his goings-on, he will snap out of it much quicker, oftentimes pick up on my own mood, as it were.