Ear hot?

susiestar

Roll With It
I guess this is my night for questions.

One of Jessie's ears is hot. Not painful, just red and hot to the touch. The entire outer ear and inside. Other ear is fine. No swelling on either ear, no sores, no problems.

She wasn't leaning on anything and hadn't done anything unusual. She is not having trouble hearing or with her ears ringing.

I am clueless on this. Any ideas?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
ear infection

That's my first thought. easy child's ears would do that when she was little. Lots of times she never complained of pain and that's how I knew I needed to take her in to the doctor. Darrin's has done it a time or two as well.

However it's about 5 ish am here, I've had 4 hrs sleep tops.........so I'll pop in later, especially if something else comes to mind.

hugs

Susie,

Both of my guys have had their ears turn bright red from time to time. When they were younger I asked their doctor about this and she just shrugged. I personally believe that it has something to do with allergies, as thy both are very allergic. They are never painful for them, just red, and slightly warm. I've just chalked it up to one of life's little mysteries...

Valerie

susiestar

Roll With It
I will take her in if it starts to hurt. She is just a mess lately. An infection might be the underlying thing. I will problem wait until Monday because she never has visible symptoms that a doctor can see until a few days after I see signs.

Fran

Former desparate mom
My easy child is pretty fair skinned,blue eyes and some freckles. He has always had very pink cheeks and his ears turn very red and hot if his face is flushed. I can tell if he has a fever because his ears get very red and hot.
He often complains about being embarassed about his pink cheeks. They are actually very attractive but you know how guys are.

I don't know what it is that causes this reaction but no one seems to have an answer. It seems to be a harmless quirk but somewhere deep in my brain it raises a flag. I just can't remember what it is I know about this hyper flushability(I made that word up).

The doctor's all shrug as being benign but somewhere I know it's an indicator of something. I just can't remember what. Sorry I'm no help.

Lothlorien

husband's ears get super red when his blood pressure goes up. Most of the time, it's both, but from time to time, it could be just the one ear. I can always tell when he's had a stressful day at work, because he comes home with red ears.

When I was much younger, there was a young, very fair haired and fair skinned child whose ears would get bright red. His mother said that it would happen when he was tired.

SRL

A few us get this without any ear infections. I usually use a little cortisone cream on it and that does the job.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I have seen this with certain foods...

Tomatoes, peppers, anything spicy can cause the ears to turn red and warm.

What did she eat?

Mom2oddson

I read a long time ago that is was a sign of a very slight food allergy. And that it could be from something eaten up to 72 hours prior to the ear getting hot. Don't know if it's true or not, but it's something I think about any time one of my ears get hot.

I do notice that my ears tend to get hot more often when I eat a lot of junk than when I'm eating healthy foods.

DammitJanet

When Cory was young his ears would turn bright red when he ate tomato sauce or ketchup. Also if his ears got pulled on.

What normally happened was he would eat something with tomato sauce or ketchup at school, kids would pick at him and try to pull on his ears either at school or on the bus and they would get even redder. One time he got into so much trouble on the bus for hitting and screaming because kids were yanking on his ears. Well...when he got of the bus, they had actually torn his ear!