Early onset borderline traits...I think we'll see more of this diagnosis.

BusynMember

I've been intrigued with borderline personality disorder since realizing I've had it all along and that this is why my life has been so hard and so fraught with raging (as a child and young adult) and drama and broken relationships. I wanted to alert parents to the signs you may see in young kids. I had all these traits and got diagnosed as an adult with bipolar, but I truly believe borderline was my main problem with a co-morbid mood disorder. The bipolar has caused me far less grief than the borderline.

Maybe this can help somebody. I think it's probably best to get treatment very young if a child shows early borderline behaviors. It IS treatable unlike the once thought and I believe we are going to see it diagnosed more and more in younger children and teens, especially those who are not helped much by medication.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
MWM, I've been told that the tweedles may/will ultimately be diagnosis'd with this disorder. That or antisocial something or another. Can't remember.

Many of the symptoms fit wm to a tee.

Saying that, the studies of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) children as adults tend to have borderline personality disorders - struggle to stay in a long term relationship, etc.

I've been watching, as has psychiatrist, for years. We kind of know whats coming with which kid.

Thanks for the article - another bookmark in my tweedles folder.

BusynMember

No problem. From my research, though, Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) and borderline are different. They can co-exist.

Most often borderline is misdiagnosed as ADHD or bipolar. I think we will start to see an upswing in the diagoses of younger people. The newest research suggests genetics have a large piece of borderline. That's how it usually ends up...your DNA.

I'm fortunate that I was fairly high functioning and have had many long term relationships. Still, it impeded me in many ways because I truly didn't "get" how to behave with people. Not as a child, not as an adult. I needed a ton of therapy.

DammitJanet

Linda...I can see how Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) could easily turn into borderline. I dont know if you read my post about my journey with mental illness or not but I wouldnt have been surprised if they had dxd me with Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) as a child. Just how would I have learned to attach?

I have had a long term relationship as an adult but I think that is more due to Tony's refusal to give up on me than my ability to attach. I truly have been a difficult partner.