Earthquake, anyone?

witzend

Last night Doodle sat bolt upright, and went running around the living and sun room to see where whatever it was that woke him up was. Half hour later I hear on the news there was a very shallow earthquake in SC. Did anyone feel it? Other than the dog, we didn't notice a thing but I know it was closer to some of you than us.

Kathy813

Staff member
Hi Witz. I heard about it on the news but didn't feel anything. My dogs didn't seem to notice anything either. Of course, unless it involved a treat, my dogs probably wouldn't.

~Kathy

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I know it showed up on my disaster map. It registered 4.4 epicenter Parksville @ 4:23 am which while not big.....is not all that small either. There was another at 3:39 am this morning that registered 5.4 epicenter Plumb Branch and I certainly do not consider that small.

I also know small earthquakes are appearing along the New Madrid fault. I don't recall if that includes SC or not, I'd have to look. However I do know that fault affects areas much further away from it than your average fault just due to the geology of the land and the type of fault it is.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The 5.4 one was at a depth of 2 km.. 4.4 one was even deeper at 4.5 km down.

Illinois had one when I was a kid but I don't recall how large it was........just that dishes came out of my aunts cupboard. I don't think it was awfully big, but it was the geology of the land that allowed it to shake things up more than it would in other areas. Some people had some structure damage, although nothing major. They've had some recently, as has Missouri, Mississippi....

Scientist have recently admitted the New Madrid is no longer considered "inactive".

PatriotsGirl

Felt here - I was on the couch and felt it shake. My son came flying downstairs asking if that was an earthquake. I jumped on Facebook and sure enough there were lots of posts about it. My daughter was on her way home from work - they were in a car and didn't feel anything...

TerryJ2

Glad you're all okay.
PatriotsGirl, my dad spent much of his life in Calif, and told me that if I'm ever in a car in an earthquake, to just keep driving. The odds are kind of 50/50. :)