Easiest & most delicious cranberry orange chutney

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
3 cups fresh cranberries (one 12oz. Bag of fresh= 3 cups)
1 cup chopped onions
1 cup raisins
1 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 Tbs orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cloves

In a large sauce pot stir together all ingredients, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer, stirring often, for about 20 minutes or until thickened.

Pour into hot sterilized canning jars, seal with sterile lids and rings. Place in a boiling water bath for 5 minutes, store in a cool dry place.

This is ready to eat right away so if you don't want to can it, you can store in fridge for about a week.

I tripled the batch and was able to make 9 pints! Instant holiday gifts! Yay! I also put up 4 jars of applesauce, yum, the chunky kind.

Last edited:

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds awesome. I wonder if you could do it with lime or lemon? thank you can't have orange, but loves cranberry. It would make an awesome gift, in my opinion.

LittleDudesMom

Jo,

I actually canned a pear chutney that sounds fairly similar - mine had whole mustard seeds and fresh grated ginger so it had a little more bite to it! Love chutneys....

Sharon

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
...How do you guys keep the pears from going all mushy???

I make a cranberry-orange relish type stuff, but I think I just might have to try this one. Since I have NO IDEA what to give some people for Christmas!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
...How do you guys keep the pears from going all mushy???

I make a cranberry-orange relish type stuff, but I think I just might have to try this one. Since I have NO IDEA what to give some people for Christmas!

Bosc and Anjou pears are best used for baking or cooking. They seem a bit stiff when putting into a pie, but will bake up tender, not mushy like the Bartletts.

DammitJanet

My pear jam is mushy like applesauce but it is good. I just assumed it was supposed to be that way? My cherry jam was was thicker but still a spread.