easy child and I both fell - back from the ER

Mattsmom277

easy child and I got out of a taxi at the mall on our way to meet my cousin. He is in a wheel chair and we were going to help him do his Christmas shopping since its impossible for him to navigate with a cart in the crowds this time of year. She and I both fell, she kind of caught herself. She hurt her shoulder/upper arm, and her foot. Nothing broken thank goodness! Just sore and bruised a bit. She falls 'well" from all the years playing hockey. She was some shaken up though and the initial hour after had a horrible limp going and couldn't move her arm.

As for me, I felt hard on my right side. My head bounced 2-3 times, smashed really, into the frozen ground/snow/ice. My upper body twisted wrong and my shoulder popped out. I have torn muscles and ligaments all over. Shoulder, neck, mid and lower back, shoulder blades, right hip and upper leg. Twisted my left foot. I have a bulge the size of a plate on my upper outter right leg that hurts so bad i just keep crying. Even clothes hurts it. doctor is suspecting nerve damage, pinches etc in a few spots. My right wrist is sprained. I have a concussion and a major killer migraine. I've been xrayed from one end to the other. I hurt everywhere. I was so humiliated, I had wet myself from the impact of the fall, I hit that hard. To make it worse, had to walk into mall that way. nothing else nearby to even call a taxi or anything, and it was -30 celcius with wind chill and we were frozen and covered in snow and soaked. No mall management on site since it was after 5p.m. which really peeved me to no end. I mean come on, no management after 5p.m. for a big mall? That's insane. i was given a small sheet of paper to write 'a complaint'. They called a taxi for me, didn't help us cross the mall to wait for the taxi or anything. Bunch of useless tools.

So I'm shot up full of morphine and toradol. Had to go to pharmacy to fill 3 scripts to start in the morning. I can't imagine how long healing will take given MS has done damage to my muscles and nerves already. I just want to curl up and cry and cry and cry.

Please if you could, send some healing vibes. easy child had to go to her dads house to sleep. No way I could give her the attention she needed at all tonight or get her ready for school tomorrow morning. I only just got back from the ER after 11:30 p.m.

Today stunk!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Oh, sweetie, I'm so sorry this has happened! At Christmas time, and while you were attempting to do a good deed for someone else. It's so unfair. I need to tell you that you might be very somnolent for a while. difficult child 2 got a concussion playing hockey, he went to bed and slept off and on for a whole week. Please let yourself heal, it takes time.

Mattsmom277

Thanks ... I hate the idea of losing a period of potentially days of our holidays. S/O just finished his final exam of the semester (8 exams over 4 days) and arrived home an hour before this happened. We had so many plans for this week, especially in the daytime when the kids are at school. I'm fortunate he's just such a good guy, he's a nurturer. He's already rubbed me down with A535, brought my heating pad for my back, made me 2 cups of tea and a plate of toast. He took my nasty dirty clothes off me when I got home before going to the ER, helped me shower and get dressed in loose clothing all while nurturing easy child and arranging with her father for her step mother to pick her up to go over there where she could have them both care for her while he takes care of me here at home. I got home at 11:30p.m. and he got me settled and then took off to the only pharmacy open so he could fill my scripts before they closed at midnight. He's going to do our shopping himself from my list for remaining gift shopping etc. I guess it's me and the cats and the couch for a few days at least. I want to sleep so badly right now but am so hurting its near to impossible. :(
I had meant to go to the mall and then come home and pamper S/O a bit in celebration of completing his next to final semester. They are as of today down to 5 students left that haven't flunked out. he has a larger than normal course load too, 8 courses in one semester. I know he got a 75%, two 85%, a 89% and a 90%. he'll get his other three grades tomorrow. I wanted to do something nice for him tonight to show him how incredibly proud I am of his heart work and commitment. I know he does it all, works that hard, for us. I guess it's going to have to wait for a better day to do something special for him.

Mattsmom277

Thanks all. I have interesting dark bruises coming out this morning. My head has a team of drummers inside it pounding out some beats. I feel like I'm on the wrong side of 80 years old. I can however move my shoulder a bit more than I could which is a good thing. The rest of me is seized up and throbbing. I was given anti inflammatory-muscle relaxants which hopefully will help, along with baclofen. Thank goodness for coffee this morning! And a S/O who helped me out of bed and to the couch. And then proceeded in -19C temps to walk up to get us a hot cup of coffee, it's an extra large kind of morning.

I phoned easy child at her fathers this morning before he drove her to school. She's feeling much better today. her right shoulder and foot are tender, I figure she pulled some muscles a bit. I'm so glad she's used to hockey and falling on that hard ice over and over. I think it really helped her since she realized she was falling and tried to brace for a not as bad impact. I'll be glad to see her after school when she walks home tonight. She earned a big hug and some mama love tonight in the form of snuggles. She was a real champ, had to help me up and help me walk in the mall etc.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
MM--

That's terrible! And then to be treated that way by the folks at the mall? UGH!!!! No excuse!!!

If you fell on Mall property, I'd be looking into filing for some compensation....

Mom2oddson

MM - I hope you feel better real soon. Take it easy and give yourself time to heal. And what a wonderful SO you have!! Sounds like he is taking good care of you. You might not be able to do a lot physically over the next couple of days, but you're still able to give your heart to those you love.

What a horrible experience!!! It really bothers me that no one offered to help you, not even during the holiday season!!! It makes me so sad, and angry too, that people can be this uncaring!!!

I'm glad your SO is taking such good care of you. Stay on that couch and try to relax... Sending zillions of good wishes for a quick a recovery as possible... Hugs... SFR

Mattsmom277

I was pretty disgusted that this mall has zero management available after 5p.m. It's a large mall for the size of our little city. I feel kind of badly for the woman at the information booth who was the only person available to speak to. Her job is basically telling people mall hours, directions to certain stores etc and giving complaint forms, say for dirty bathrooms etc. She was out of her element and clearly had received no advice/training from the management as to what to do if something like this occurs. With thousands of customers at Christmas time, that is absurd! I'm also livid that there was no salt and sand put down on the lot when they had all day to get that done. Greed is my guess, not wanting to spend the money. Salt would have turned the lot to mush, sand at least would have offered traction. If that had been done and I'd fallen anyhow, I'd not be angry with them as they would have done as best they could to treat the lot for their customers. As it stands, both those reasons make my blood boil.

KTMom91

After all my years in retail management, I am stunned that the mall had no one on site after 5 pm. That's just crazy! I'd be looking into liability on this one.

Hope you're feeling better soon. Hugs.

Jena

i'm so sorry to hear what a freak thing. I hope you get the rest you need and easy child gets what she needs.....

((Hugs)))

TerryJ2

Owwwwwwwwwwiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiieeee! OMG! :consoling:
You poor thing. And easy child, too.
You hit your head enough to have a headache for several days. I hate to say this, but you're not supposed to watch TV or go on the computer with-a head injury. Even though the computer looks static, the screen is always moving and the light is pulsing subtley. Just FYI. I know you love us and we love you ;) but you may want to lay off the TV and computer until, say, Saturday.
Yes, the mall should have had salt or sand. You could have a potential suit. In fact, if you're feeling up to it, you may want to contact the mall mgmt and tell them you are setting up an appointment to talk to your lawyer, and they may negotiate right then and there to pay your medical expenses. Heck, ofc visit, Xrays and medications? They've got ins.
Was the fall on a public street, or on the street that runs between the mall and its own pkng lot? Makes a big difference.
In the meantime, ice, ice, ice. Don't use heat for another few days. (Unfortunately, I speak from experience.):sigh:

:sorrysmiley:

Mattsmom277

Terry, the fall was on the mall parking lot/road. I was dropped off by taxi right alongside the sidewalk that goes around the mall perimeter to their doors. The entire property is mall owned anyhow. I was walking around the taxi and we fell on the road of the parking lot about 10 feet from the sidewalk. Hope that description makes sense. I have an update post regarding mall management and the reason why i had to contact a lawyer today. I don't care about a suit or anything, just covering things IF I needed physio or something if I don't heal etc. But was backed into a weird corner and for my own protection ended up having to hire a lawyer. :( In that update thread you can hear how the management responded/handled this issue today. I can't post the word here I want to all this guy. It was disheartening.

TerryJ2

Yes, I just saw the other note.
Sheesh. Just what you need.
And HE needs a new job, like taking out trash.