easy child/difficult child evidently has Gout

DDD

He is in alot of pain and I thought maybe someone stepped on his foot when he was dancing &drinking the other night. The MD says gout. I just looked it up and drinking too much (he is an alcoholic at age 23...was diagnosis'd at 13), eating too much red meat (he loves fast food joints), being overweight (about 20 lbs since his brain surgery) and lack of exercise (his elbow gets alot of exercise).Hmmmmm. Sounds like the right diagnosis. Evidently it's unusual in someone that young. I doubt he'll change his ways much but maybe recurring pain might motivate him. Geez, there is no end to it! Big Whine! DDD

DammitJanet

I have had gout since I was young in my big toe...so does my dad. I got it well before I was overweight. I was going to say before I drank too much but cancel that one...lol. I was a teen when I started with the gout. I was told it was a build up of uric acid crystals and got much worse when eating seafood or iron rich foods like liver. I love both seafood and liver so I was SOL...lol.

There are some pretty good gout medications out there. I know my dad takes them. I havent had a bad attack in years. If I feel my big toe getting sensitive, I just back off on any foods that can cause it and it seems to cut it off at the pass.

DDD

As a pseudo-expert, lol, I understand you can get a shot in your foot for more immediate relief from the pain OR you can take Rx medications. easy child/difficult child opted for medications.From my two hour expertise I gather getting it in your big toe is most common...like you have Janet. His is along the side of his foot. Poor baby. DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
husband has had a few bouts of gout. One was pretty severe and lasted weeks. He was one sick boy. The pain is awful. Just putting a sheet on the toe was excruciating.
I hope your grandson, takes care of himself.
I know husband is more prone if he isn't drinking enough water. Same with kidney stones. Not enough of water makes it more likely that those little crystals will cause problems.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
There's also something called 'pseudo gout' which is more common in younger people. With gout, uric acid crystals are deposited in the joints. With pseudo gout, I think it's oxalic acid but am not sure.

Either way, mixing the medications prescribed for these conditions with alcohol is really a bad thing. The drugs are hard on the kidneys and liver.

PonyGirl

Warrior Parent
No offense intended here, but I just have to share, when I hear "Gout" I think: Old Men and Linament :sick:
Am I crazy? Perhaps.

I am sorry to hear this latest health concern, DDD. I hope easy child/difficult child will follow the remedies and feel better soon!!

Peace

DDD

husband and I had never heard of a young adult having gout either. Evidently that is what it is. Theoral medications have already taken the pain away. He was in agony yesteray...today he is able to walk and wear sandals. Amazing.The MD, by the way, told him that there is a medicine that you can take regularly to avoid future bouts of gout. Yikes. husband and I were hoping he would be so afraid of the pain that he mighttry to make lifechanges. Maybe the medications are newer versions and would help your family members.Thanks for being their for my too often vents. DDD