easy child/difficult child has Lyme Disease

Josie

I posted a while ago about easy child/difficult child complaining about her head hurting all the time and only staying in school 1/2 the day, saying she didn't feel well. I was being told she was depressed. Some of you suggested it could be Lyme. We finally got the results back and it is.

Apparently, Lyme can cause mood problems and even Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Her very first rage was several months after she had the tick bite. I'm not convinced that is what caused her mental problems because there is a family history of anger issues, but I'm hoping Lyme treatment will help them as well as her physical symptoms.

smallworld

Should I go back to school and get my MD?

Seriously, I'm so glad you found the culprit and hope she feels much better soon. Hugs to you and easy child/difficult child!

Josie

Should I go back to school and get my MD?

If only you had the time!

It's really scary to me that I had to suggest testing her. I think we all have to almost be our own "doctor".

I'm sorry your difficult child has lyme disease but happy that you have some answers so she can get appropriate medical treatment. I agree with you- It is "scary" that we have to ask our doctors for tests, etc, that they should think of on their own.

Lyme Disease is very common where I live, and still, not too many doctors seem to be knowledgeable about it. I'm glad that your difficult child is finally going to get the medical care she needs to feel better.

You're a great :warrior:!!! WFEN

DammitJanet

What are they going to do for her Lyme Disease? I know there are websites set up just for this disease and that you have to be treated for it much longer than so called normal doctors actually think is OK. If this is actually causing her mood and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) type behaviors you might want to check the websites out for what they call Lyme Literate doctors in your area.

Josie

Janet, I'm taking her to an LLMD (Lyme Literate MD). There aren't many around. I have one appointment in 2 weeks in Louisiana and another one for a second opinion in 6 weeks in Missouri. I'm pretty sure they will do the long term antibiotics.

It will be great if it helps her Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and anxiety, but I'll be thankful if she just feels better.

I've looked at one of those websites but it is so depressing that I haven't spent much time there. Do you have any recommendations for a good one?

DammitJanet

I belong to a website for fibro and many there also have lyme because that tends to go along with it in many cases. I have to go out for a bit but will check there later today and find out what sites they recommend and post back to you probably late this afternoon.

F

flutterbee

I'm so glad you finally have answers. Way to go :warrior: !!

Keep us posted on how she's doing.

TerryJ2

Wow!
I'm SO glad you got the diagnosis. Long term, un-diagnosis'd, it can cause a lot of scary problems, which you will see when you do an online search.
I'm assuming she's on antibiotics and anti-inflammatories and other, newer things.
This certainly explains a lot.
You may still have anger issues with-her down the line but I'm sure they won't be as pronounced.
Best of luck to both of you.

Josie

I think she got it in the summer of 2004, so she's had it 3 1/2 years. :frown: This seems long term to me, but there are many people who don't discover it for even longer.

She isn't on anything yet. I asked the pediatrician to call the LLMD and then give antibiotics but I haven't heard back from her. It wouldn't surprise me if she is uncomfortable doing this, though. Luckily, I was able to get an appointment with the Lyme doctor in less than 2 weeks.