easy child/difficult child has pneumonia

Wiped Out

Staff member
Long day today for easy child/difficult child. She has not been feeling well for about 9 or 10 days. I had called the doctor the other day but the nurse said to wait a few days and see if she started feeling better.

She seemed to be getting worse so I took her into urgent care this morning and they said she was dehydrated and did a chest x-ray. They tried to get her started on an iv but were unable to and after 5 tries (they poked her 5 times) they sent us to the E.R.

Turns out she has rolly (sp?) veins and that was making it very difficult to get the iv in.

They did get it in and the x-ray showed pneumonia.

She is now on antibiotics and at home. Hopefully she will start feeling better soon.

Hindsight being 20/20 I wish I had taken her in earlier last week. She lost at least 8 pounds and is down to 102 pounds right now which for her is o.k. but I hope she doesn't lose anymore. She really hasn't been eating much at all or even drinking liquids (thus the dehydration) due to how lousy she has been feeling.

jal

Hope she feels better real soon. My difficult child, 9, had pneumonia in Sept. this year. He NEVER EVER gets sick. Hadn't been sick in over 3 yrs. and had perfect attendence at school till this one. He came down with symptoms 2 days after his flu shot. Go figure, you try to keep them healthy...1st trip to the dr after getting sick was told it was a virus, neg for strep. 2 days later still had a fever (5 days total), took him back, pneuomenia. Pneumonia is going around everywhere this year.

I am prone to it myself and I've had the pneumonia shot. Its good for 10 years but only covers certain strains and there are 1000's of strains, bacterial and viral. I've had it 6-7 times.

My co-worker over the holiday spent 5 days in the hospital with it. Like I said its everywhere this year.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. For a couple of years husband got it every winter. It was really bad.

As for rolly veins, it means they roll out of the way when they try to put an iv in. It can be due to dehydration. If they didn't use a butterfly, ask for that next time. The needle is attached to a tube rather than to a syringe and it has a flexible grip on the tubing. They are easier to maneuver and at least in every lab I have encountered, are easier to actually get into a vein. Can you tell I have had this problem?

As for the 8 pounds, it will come back when she is better hydrated.

Not sure what they told you re: cough medications, but if at all possible, keep the mucinex in her (if you use generic then give it every 4 hrs as those are not time release like the brand name). It makes the gunk not stick to her airways. WHen possible, do NOT give cough suppressants. Of course she needs them to sleep, but for at least a couple of hours a day she should be coughing. it is the only way to get the gunk out. If you have an asthmatic in the house, have her use the peak flow meter. ANY substantial dip should mean a call to the doctor/trip to the ER.

Did she get an albuterol inhaler? If not, ask the doctor for one. Or for medications to use in a nebulizer. The nebulizer is much more effective, but they don't always know you have the machine. The machines can be rented or the dr can order it and you can get it from the ins co. There is anohter medication like albuterol, xopenex, that they might have her use. Those made the BIGGEST difference in husband when he had it. If the dr didn't order an inhaler or nebulizer, call tomorrow and get them to do it.

Not at all sure what your house is like, but having a pot of water on the stove to add moisture to the air is also very helpful. We do that rather than a humidifier because the pot won't grow mold and the humidifier filters do. Or else put a new filter on the humidifier if you have one.

Hot rice bags to her chest will likely feel wonderful.

Sorry so much info. This is one of few illnesses that really scares me. I hope easy child/difficult child gets better soon.

crazymama30

Hope she gets better soon. I would not worry about the weight, but make sure she keeps fluids going in. Popsicles, jello, broth, ramen with broth, anything with liquid. Poor kiddo.

InsaneCdn

Don't worry about the eating, but... ditto ditto ditto on the fluids.
Anything she'll drink is good, but... chicken noodle soup, warm apple juice (a touch of cinnamon is optional), and herbal teas are particularly good.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies,

She is still feeling awful but to me seems a bit better. At least I know she is drinking her fluids because she is complaining about having to use the bathroom so much. I told her that is a good thing but she is very annoyed!

Susie-Thanks for all of the good info:)

susiestar

Roll With It
Anytime. It is good that she is annoyed - a sign she is getting better. Hope I didn't overwhelm you with info. FYI the blood draws, the butterflys leave MUCH smaller bruises than the needles attached directly to the syringes do. They are smaller needles for the most part and easier to move and less painful..

Tell her that she wants the palest yellow urine she can get. The paler it is, the better you are hydrated.

DDD

No wisdom to share but am sending caring supportive thoughts to you and to her. Hugs. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Push the liquids, not only does it keep her hydrated, which is very important, it thins out the mucous and makes it easier to cough up and get rid of. Water is best. Plenty of rest.

I hope she starts feeling better soon. Don't feel bad, you wanted to take her in and didn't cuz they said to wait. Their bad judgement call, not yours.

((hugs))

lovemysons

Sure hoping your daughter will get better soon.
Please don't blame yourself for not getting her into dr's sooner.
One time young difficult child had a "sore throat" and stomach ache. Wasn't til he got a rash on his chest that I investigated what was going on. When I got him to doctors they said he had Scarlet Fever and was seriously ill. I had no idea...felt so bad.
Finally got his tonsils out, adnoids removed, tubes put in his ears...and he was hardly sick at all after that.

Anyway, thinking of you and your daughter and sending out positive vibes for healing.
LMS