easy child/difficult child is off to college

Wiped Out

Staff member
What a long week! Wednesday we drove to Michigan for my nephew's funeral and Thursday we drove back (bad weather both ways). Friday we left to take easy child/difficult child to school. We stayed at my sister's on Friday night and drove her yesterday the rest of the way. All total we spent about 28 hours in the car the past 4 days.

If you could keep a good thought for easy child/difficult child I would appreciate it. She is so overwhelmed right now. She is so introverted and has a hard time making friends.(that along with her depression could make the transition very difficult). I just texted her to have a good day (they have tons of stuff planned for new students today) and she texted back that she would try. I am worried about her but also excited about the opportunities she might find.

Oh, and I am sitting here holding back tears because as much of a difficult child that she can be I am still going to miss her!

TerryJ2

Awwww, what a transition! Hard for all of you but so brave and so good.
Isn't it strange how we miss them, no matter what pitas they are?

What happened to your nephew? My condolences.

And I know what you mean about spending that much time in the car. Ugh.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh boy, what a couple of days you've had! Yikes.

I completely understand how you are feeling about your daughter.........and she is scared and excited too. I just got back myself from a long drive driving my granddaughter back for her second semester as a Freshman. When we first left her there in August, I was feeling much like you are now. And this time, it's become our new normal.......off she goes in to her life. Letting go is tough, they seem so young............but now? Mine is so comfortable in her dorm with her friends, she loves every minute of it. I hope that happens for your girl too.

Saying a prayer and having a warm good thought for you and your daughter.......

Scent of Cedar *

My condolences on the death of your nephew. You must have had to be very strong these past months. I am so pleased your daughter has started school! Transitions are so hard, but she will find her niche and her strength, and that is such an exciting thing to see and be part of.

Very happy for you!

I think it is better if the kids go into it a little shy, a little less certain of who they are.

Not as far to fall.

:O)

Cedar

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies! Terry-My nephew had Adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD). If you ever saw the movie "Lorenzo's Oil" it is the disease from that movie. Sadly this nephew isn't the first one in husband's family to have died from this disease. It's ravaged his family for many years.

Last edited:

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
You have had a gamut of emotions the past week. I am so sorry for the loss of your nephew.
Keeping good thoughts for your daughter. This may just be the best thing for her.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I know it is only her first full day and classes haven't started yet but she had a great day which is huge for her! She likes her roommate and exchanged numbers with another girl today. She has always had problems with friendships so this is doing my heart good!

Thanks for all of the good thoughts and prayers! I really do believe in the power of this board!

BusynMember

Wiped Out, it is a universal sadness and fear when our kids go off to college, I tink. MY biggest easy child, who has never been in trouble and has given so much of her goodness to us, left. It was a devastating hole in my heart. I was also afraid of if she'd like her roommates or transition well to college. She had always been such a star in high school, and it was a TINY high school, and I worried how she'd take just being one of the crowd.

She is also doing well and, being a classic extrovert and very friendly (something I can not even relate to), she knows everyone at her school now. She does miss us and we communicate a lot, but I don't really know what she does day-to-day. I'm not afraid she is into "bad" things...her grades were good.

College can change a shy child and impact her life very positively. And the kids who go are really young adults and past the high school stuff, it seems.

I'm so happy it is working out for your daughter :!!:biggrin: