easy child had her wisdom teeth pulled

TerryJ2

First time under anesthesia. She waited and waited for the dr (who had a complication down the hall) and finally, when he came in, he said hello and then injected the "sleepy stuff" into the already-in-place IV. It took effect fast. She was so funny. "Look, Mom, that light overhead would make a pretty pattern on a fabric."
Then the dr had to keep tapping her on the forehead to get her to wake up so he could insert everything in her mouth.
She was shocked when she "came to" in the recovery room, didn't remember walking there at all.
It was hard seeing my first-born go under for the first time but she did really well.
All 3 teeth were pulled. Yes, she's one of the "new race" of advanced humans who have smaller jaws. In 5,000 yrs or sooner, we'll all have smaller jaws because we don't need big Neanderthal teeth to pry open everything any more.
Please send some quick healing vibes--she's got to babysit on Wednesday!

P.S. He wouldn't let me watch this one ...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sending some healing vibes her way. Soft foods would help speed that along.

I only had 2 wisdom teeth, the two lower ones. Didn't even have buds for the top ones. Good for me, but 3 dentists were baffled by it. Also was missing an adult tooth that obviously never had a bud or anything too.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I had all four removed at the same time... I don't remember being woken up to insert anything in my mouth!!! They just pried it open!

I know how she feels though. Should be OK to babysit - but tell her stick with soft foods. Hardboiled eggs are good, for protein purposes!

And - rinsing with saltwater is a MUST - 1/4 tsp salt, 1 cup water.

TerryJ2

Yes, she'll be doing the saltwater thing this evening. I made her take 2 tsp of applesauce so the painpills wouldn't make her sick.
She was so worried about not being able to feel her upper lip, but now she can talk and move her tongue and the pain is starting to come in. She has no idea how nice it was not to be able to feel ...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
If the pain medications make her nauseous anyway (they do me, even if I eat)... 600-800mg ibuprofen, once a day or twice, PRN, works for me. :wink:

DammitJanet

Terry...did the doctor not give her any phenergan for the nausea? If not, call the doctor real quick and get some. It will help.

Also get a bag of frozen peas to hold against her jaws for the swelling she might have.

I am having two more teeth pulled tomorrow I think...one for sure. They started acting up yesterday...sigh.

keista

Healing vibes headed her way! I only had 3 pulled. Still have the bud of the 4th one floating around - it just never erupted enough to be pulled.

TerryJ2

Thank you all.
She is not nauseated. They gave her a bunch of anti-nausea medications at the ofc b4 she left.
She ate some cold soup (she was so upset, looking forward to tomato soup, and I went and put ice in it ...) and one bite of creamy lemon dessert, and spooned a Tropical Smoothie into her mouth.
She barely has any swelling, and no bruises. Lucky duck!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I had all four removed at the same time with only nova sine (I hate anesthesia even then), easy child was put under and had all four at the same time taken out - no problems. easy child's face looked like a chipmunk. difficult child? She only has two wisdoms and only one was pulled last year and she got dry socket because she smoked and didn't drink enough water! The dentist was baffled as to why, at age 21, the others were not revealing themselves. She has one more but it hasn't moved down at all. Re the smaller jaws: I never heard that one before Terry! easy child has a very narrow jaw like her biodad, but difficult child has a wider jaw like mine. Hmmm interesting concept. Hope your baby's feeling better each day-remember to have her drink lots of water!

DammitJanet

I have never got a dry socket and I smoke like a chimney. I just manage to smoke well...lmao. I keep that gauze in place until its past time to take it out and make sure I keep it rinsed with salt water. I also pour my coke in with an interesting cup. Kind of straw type cup.

nvts

Rattling beads that she's ok to sit tomorrow! And great job Uber Mom with all the remedies in place!

Beth