easy child In Accident This Morning

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It happened on her way to work. At 65-70 mph she literally glanced down to look at the radio for a second or two, next thing she knew the car had drifted into the gravel shoulder and she lost traction. She tried to regain control and over compensated, panicked when she saw herself heading straight for a power pole, and slammed on the brakes which did her no good in the gravel.....same problem, no traction. She hit the pole at full speed right in the center of the car. The impact broke the steering column completely and drove the standard transmission into the middle of the front seat.

I came very close to losing easy child this morning. If she had not been wearing her seat belt and the air bags had not deployed I would be planning a funeral, instead of wondering how we're going to juggle care of 3 little boys over the next months.

FIVE cars passed her on that quiet rural highway. NO ONE stopped. After the 5th car easy child realized no one was going to help her. Her right leg was a mess and causing excruciating pain.....she knew she shouldn't move but she had to find her cell to call for help. She tried to call her husband several times but he didn't answer. She tried to call 911 but the operator couldn't seem to understand her.......and she couldn't remember what highway she was on. About that time a guy who was VERY late to work stopped to check on her and see if he could help. The little elderly man who lived not far from the accident made it to the scene. They told her the info to give to 911 to get the medics and sheriff on the way.

She didn't get an answer from her husband because the calls never went through, she must have been dialing the number wrong. Nurses in the ER at the county hospital where she used to work (and where medics took her) called sister in law for her. He then rushed over to get me to watch the boys so he could run to the ER. This was at 7:45 am.

easy child has a nasty bruised laceration across her neck from the seat belt, an imprint of the belt on her chest, abrasions on her face from the air bags, and broke herright leg in 4 places right above the ankle and also broke the ankle.....bones were jutting at odd angles. Docs were surprised none broke through the skin.

She went into surgery today at 2:30 to set the fractures and assess internal damage to the leg and ankle joint. They had to screw her bones back into place. Due to extensive swelling, they can't cast her yet. doctor isn't expecting to be able to cast her for about 3 days. Then she isn't allowed to put ANY weight on it for at least 4 wks, maybe longer.......then if she's lucky she'll get the moon boot for several more weeks along with PT.

Silly girl thinks everyone should be mad at her for doing such a stupid thing. sister in law was planning to go dirt biking tomorrow.....of course now that is cancelled. We'd planned the Myrtle Beach trip the end of summer, that is cancelled too as now neither she nor sister in law will be able to take the time off work. There is the worry over lost wages. She's hoping for short term disability, but it's not supposed to kick in until you've been there 6 mos and she's only been there 4. FMLA she can't get because she hasn't been there long enough and so she's worried she might not have a job to go back to.

Me? I'm just very grateful my baby girl is alive, even if it's with a pretty mangled right leg/ankle.

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
OMG! I'm so sorry! Thank God she is alive. When is your family going to catch a break?

I will be praying for a quick recovery. Poor her and poor you!

keista

My goodness! So glad that she'll be OK. I'm still fuming at no one pulling over - what is wrong with ppl?

((((HUGS)))) and healing thoughts to all of you.

susiestar

Roll With It
((((((((((hugs)))))))))) they are super gentle hugs for the entire family.

I am SO sorry. You are all in my thoughts and prayers. I am thankful that in such a bad wreck she survived without more injuries. While the job may or may not stay open for her, as a nurse she is employable almost anywhere in the nation. So that will work out. Have her check her car insurance for any disability and or medical coverage.If she is in a union she will likely have some protection from them.

Whatever happens financially, I am so thankful she is alive.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm so sorry to hear this but relieved it wasn't worse. Keeping her in my prayers-may she heel quickly.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I am so sorry! Glad it turned out as well as it did. Praying no additional damage was done so her recovery is as fast as possible.

Mattsmom277

I'm so glad to hear it wasn't life threatening, although it sounds like a scary experience and the leg situation sounds horrible. Poor easy child! I hope she has a quick recovery. I'll be keeping her in my thoughts!!!!

TerryJ2

OMG!
I'm so glad she was wearing her seatbelt and had an airbag.
Interesting that she remembers the whole thing. That's good, though.
I'm glad the doctors are able to do surgery and take it one step at a time.
Whew.

DDD

OMG! I'm so sorry to hear about the accident and, on the other hand, so glad to hear that she survived the trauma. Truly I will be keeping your family in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs. DDD

everywoman

Oh no! I'm so glad she is going to be okay. Praying for swift recovery. I'm sad ya'll want make it to the beach. I was looking forward to seeing you.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
OMG, I just now saw this!!!

Lisa, I hope she is OK - and I don't just mean physically, sounds like she is on her way to recovery there. Accidents are so so scary! I had one years ago and I wasn't even hurt, and had problems driving in bad weather for years.

But, the staying calm, the assessing the situation and doing what needed to be done - that is AWESOME!

FWIW - I am not trained medically at all, but if I saw an accident that there were no responders? I'd call 911. And have. I don't stop usually. That may be horrible but at least I can tell them where. Now if I actually SEE it happen, I'll stop, because I've been asked what happened. Witness thing. husband is trained, and will stop and help - I help best by staying out of the way.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The only reason I wanted to go to Myrtle Beach was to see you EW and Janet, and Star and others that live nearby. easy child wanted to meet you all too. But perhaps next year or in the spring.

When I finally got to head up to the hospital last night my big worry was over her impacting that steering column so hard she broke it. But they took endless xrays of her chest, abdomen and back, so evidently it's ok. Right now the worry is will the leg/ankle heal properly and how much function she'll have in it when it is healed.

I didn't have the heart to tell her that even once she comes out of the moon boot there will be months of healing and PT. Just the 4 wks in a cast was overwhelming to her at this point. sister in law is going to see if his work will let him take at least a week off.....2 if possible. But after that? From the time he goes to work until the time the boys go to bed she'll have to have someone there with her to care for the baby at the very least. I'm glad I kept mother in law's small wheelchair......she may be needing it at times and I already told her she can use it.

If she can't get the short term disability, they're going to be in some trouble financially and have to tighten their belts even more.

But the worst of it is.........easy child has been on the go burning the candle at both ends since she was 16. I'm not sure how she's going to deal with not being able to do much of anything for at least 4 wks.

Their car insurance is being very kind to them at least.

M

ML

Thank God she is alive is right. Everything else will work itself out. My prayers for healing and may this experience draw your family closer.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am glad that the long term recovery looks good, but make her be careful and encourage her to NOT sign anything for the ins co for several weeks. Soft tissue injuries don't always show right after the accident. The ins co wants a settlement now so that if complications crop up in a couple of weeks they don't have to do anything else. It is how they are taught to handle things. Even though she was the only car in the accident, she still should NOT sign any settlement papers until an attorney can go over them. I know she is a nurse and knows way more than I do about injuries, but using the info in your job and using it to protect your's and your family's best interests are totally different things.

As for help with the kids, why not call the local churches to ask for help? I know quite a few churches that have ladies groups that do that kind of thing. Not money help, but actually people to come in and help for nothing. It may take a few calls, and I would be sure to call the bigger, fancier churches along with easy child's church (if she has one) or closer local ones. Often the big churches have members with more money and time, and it can be a status thing inside the church to help and befriend a mom with 3 little ones.

Please keep us updated with how she is doing. Sending lots of hugs, love and healing prayers.

You both are in my thoughts and prayers. We know that life can completely change in just one moment, but time and love have great healing power. It is also amazing how friends and neighbors can step up to help - I wish that I was there to be one of them.

Valerie

Steely

OMG how really, really scary - I am so glad she is OK. Sending many healing thoughts your families way.