easy child is visiting state mental hospital...

lovemysons

This is easy child's Senior year...very exciting stuff!!!

easy child is taking an AP psychology course cause of course, lol...she wants to be a psychologist. And I think with all the mental illness issues floatin around in our family she will be a very insightful psychologist one day.

So she came home yesterday and told me that at the end of the year they are going to Terrell, I believe, to visit the state's psychiatric hospital. I "think" this is where Andrea Yates is being held...I could be mistaken.

Anyway, I just thought it interesting and wanted to share.
Tammy
PS...LOL, easy child says her Psychology teacher is a "little nuts" but cool.

TerryJ2

Well, your easy child and mine are only a yr apart, and I think their interest in psychology is definitely homegrown.
I know my easy child will have a more lucrative career than I have had. :)
Post us a note when she visits the institution, okay? I'm curious how up-to-date it is.

Andy

That will be one interesting visit.

My first out of vo-tech job was at a state hospital. I was covering for someone on maternity leave so knowing my stay would be short, I stayed in the nurses' dorms on the ground not too far from the billing office I worked in.

One of our mental health clients was an elderly gentleman who took a liking to me in a grandfatherly type way. He found out that I was staying at the dorm and asked for weeding tools. Of course, his request was denied so he pulled weeds by hand along the length of the sidewalk from the nurse's dorms to the front enterence. He stated it was to keep the walk nice for me. I really enjoyed that job and the memories of several of the clients I met that Summer.

TerryJ2

Aw, sweet story, Andy.
Maybe that man's issue was Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD). Too bad it may have been wasted, keeping him indoors!
My cousin worked at a mental health facility when she was college aged, back in the 1940s. She, too, made friends with-the nurses and residents and often went there on her weekends off. A special bond that's hard to explain.

lovemysons

LOL Terry, yes I'm sure their interest is definitely "homegrown".
easy child has often acted like the "peacemaker" in our family. She's a wonderful listener too.

That was really sweet Andy. I think the mentally ill can be especially appreciative of anyone who takes the time to get to know them...and care. Sounds like you had a special relationship with this elderly man. Very kind of you.

I'm just so glad easy child is enjoying psychology so far this year. Last year was not so fun for her.

Tammy

DammitJanet

When Cory was in his Residential Treatment Center (RTC) it was on the grounds of the state mental hospital here in NC. There were all the different buildings for the adults, teens, young kids, elderly and the really scary..the forensic psychiatry! Well, he got a "job" after a time as the reception clerk in the adult building. He said he really learned that this was a place he never wanted to get locked up in...lol.