easy child opened restaurant

jbrain

Hi All,
I am just very excited because my easy child son (23) opened a restaurant yesterday with a partner. easy child used to work for a place specializing in wings in our college community--he mostly was a delivery driver and sometimes he cooked. He and another guy who worked there decided there is a market in our town for Philly cheesesteaks. They saved their money for over a year (easy child lived at home to save money and worked many many hours) and rented a place and opened yesterday. They exceeded their goal for opening day and in fact I had to go to the grocery store for them to buy more provolone, mushrooms and potato chips.

Their food is delicious--my son was the one who developed the menu and perfected the recipes (his partner was the one who actually knew what you have to do to open a business and who could "schmooze" with salesmen, the landlord, etc.) They both say that they will not sell anything they wouldn't want to eat themselves.

Anyway, apparently the college kids are already on to them and looks like they have a chance to succeed--I am so thrilled!

Thanks for reading this,
Jane

DDD

How really, really exciting. I'll say a prayer for their continued success. As a small business owner I know that the
restaurant business is statistically the hardest business to sustain. on the other hand, when you have good product, reach out for the expertise you may be lacking AND the enthusiasm of youth...the
sky is the limit.

Next time I visit NY I'll pig out at your son's place. I adore
wings and Philly cheesesteaks.........and reubins........and
seafood.........and and and. Hugs. DDD

DammitJanet

Oh wow...how wonderful!

Would they email me one? This is making my mouth water for a philly cheesesteak right now...lol.

I hope they far outreach they goals. Am I saying that right? LOL.

I am blown away! I always wanted to either open a restaurant or do a catering service. That is really fantastic. I LOVE me a Philly cheesesteak!

Best wishes for continued luck!!

(Now I am hungry...)

jbrain

Thanks so much for all the good wishes, it means a lot to me! I'll let you know how all goes. The good thing is that he is young and hasn't got a family to support so even if it doesn't work out he will be okay and will have learned a lot--he'll just be broke!

I do think it has a good chance to succeed though--he learned a lot about the restaurant business at his previous job and saw what worked and what didn't work and he knows what college kids like (having been one himself fairly recently)and the university in our town is one of the Ivies -so there are a lot of kids from well-off families who want to spend their parents' money on food at 2AM after drinking most of the night, especially the Frat guys! Funny, both easy child and difficult child 1 are looking to make money off Frat guys--difficult child 1 is an "exotic dancer".....

Thanks!!!
Jane

witzend

Well, good for him! It takes a lot to have the ambition and drive to carry through a plan on your own, and at that age, it really shows what a mature young man he is.

If I ever get out that way I'll definitely drop in for a philly!

nvts

Oh, sure, he's in NY but it can't be close to the city, no fair! I love a good Philly Cheesesteak! You may need to send me the location...got a lot of friends all over NY and could ALL deal with a great cheesesteak!

I really hope they do well! I knew a couple in my college town that opened a bar and sold wings and were able to retire in 9 years JUST on the wing sales alone!

Beth

chriss

hi, im not sure how to use this message board, but im in looking for some advice from like mothers same age with difficult kids

Best wishes for lots of success (and fun) with the new place. What's the name? We'll all need to go visit when we are there :smile:

A good friend of mine's son opened a Barbeque place here 3 years ago. He's now opening his third location. So you never know!

jbrain

Okay, you are all invited when you visit Ithaca, NY to come to easy child's restaurant! It is called Ithaca Cheesesteak Emporium.

They continued to do well over the weekend and even had a repeat customer from Friday night. My husband, difficult child 2 and her friend and I all went to Hershey Park Sunday and just got home a little while ago (Monday afternoon) so I haven't seen or talked to him since yesterday.

Hershey Park was fun but it was kind of cold and drizzled most of the time. I'm glad to be home!

Thanks again for all the well wishes and success stories!

--Jane

busywend

jbrain! I was just researching Ithaca as a place for a quick weekend getaway. You have some beautiful scenery there!! Even waterfalls!

If I ever make it there I will for sure pop in for a cheesesteak!