easy child's First Independent Trip

Andy

Tommorrow late afternoon (4:00), I take easy child down to the cities (3 hr drive) to drop her off at sister in law's. difficult child and I will drive back so I can work Thursday morning (will be home about 11:00 - 12:00 midnight - I think I wasn't thinking when I planned this one!)

Thursday, easy child flies to NYC with sister in law and brother in law. sister in law will take her on a tour of Manhatten and to the Staute of Liberty. They will stay overnight at the Waldorff. The next day, her friend K will come into the city. The girls will spend the day in NYC and then take the train to Long Island to K's home. easy child stays at K's until Aug 18th. K's family will take her to the airport for a non-stop flight back to Mpls. I will pick her up at the airport and drive home.

I am excited for her and somewhat nervous. I have known K from the boarding school here in town and meet her mom at easy child's graduation party. K's mom was in town for K's graduation and to get her school stuff home.

I will feel better once the girls are at K's home. I hope they don't get lost in NYC.

Then I will be nervous while she travels back to MN alone. At least K's family will take her to the airport.

I just asked if she would feel comfortable getting her luggage and meeting me outside on the 18th. She said, "If I have to." I said, "No, you don't have to. I am just asking. Do you want me to meet you at the baggage claim area?" "Yes" Sounds like she is a little nervous about this also.

Please send prayers that she will stay safe. (and that I can stay calm the entire time!)

Wiped Out

Staff member
It sounds like a great experience for her! Sending prayers for a safe trip and that you are able to relax! :) Hugs!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Awww...Andy. She'll be fine. My kids have traveled alone for years. I always taught them to look up. There are always signs. What a fun trip!!

Abbey

DammitJanet

It will be a great trip and she will have a wonderful time! Take lots of pics.

PS: Dont talk to strange men in the elevators!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sounds like she'll be fine and will have a wonderful time! This will be a great experience and one I'm sure she'll always remember :D

Ditto Janet's advice ;) Elevators... and TAXI cabs! I once struck up a conversation with a NY cabbie who was driving me from the convention center to my hotel -- I was a young 20-something professional dressed for work. He wanted to write to me when I got back to California... big mistake! He wrote to tell me he was looking for a "good woman" (he was from Ghana) to settle down with and wanted to know if I was interested... even sent me a Polaroid of him standing next to his truck... needless to say, I never wrote back!!!

mrscatinthehat

Seussical
Oh, I hope she got off well. My easy child has been traveling for 10 years now on her own. In the early days she had a companion but these days she does it on her own. It will work out ok. Hope she has fun.

beth