Easy popovers (for Janet)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Okay Janet, popovers can be tricky but this recipe is fairly easy and you should be able to do them...they are yummy and very light and airy on this inside with a firm crust.

You will need:

Cooking spray (or some vegetable shortening)
2 Beaten eggs
1 Cup milk
1 Tbs cooking oil
1 Cup all purpose flour

*there are pans specifically for popovers but I just use my extra large muffin pans which work fine. This recipe makes 6 popovers.

You will:
Preheat oven to 400 F
Grease your pans and place on a cookie sheet-set aside.

Beat eggs, oil and milk till combined.
Add flour and 1/4 tsp of salt.
Beat till smooth. Should resemble pancake batter.

Fill the prepared cups (muffin pan cups) 1/2 way with the batter.
Bake for 40 minutes or until very firm on top.

IMMEDIATELY after removing pan from oven, prick each popover to allow steam to escape (I use a skewer for this). Turn off the oven and if you want the tops to be firmer, you can return the popovers to the oven for about 5 minutes.

Serve immediately, while hot with fresh butter....mmmmmmm. These are addicting!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Is this a muffin or a popover like you get at Arbys? Where is the filling?

I don't know what Arby's sells. There is no filling in these. They come out like a tallish muffin, but not dense like a muffin. There are airy and fluffy inside, sort of like the inside of an English crumpet with nooks and crannies for the butter to melt in, yum mmmmmmm. I'll have to make some tomorrow with dinner now.

DammitJanet

Yes they dont sound like the Arby's Turnovers which is what I was expecting. I actually think that I may serve these with butter and a sprinkling of powdered sugar to my crew as a special breakfast for Xmas morning since they do sound like a pancake or light muffin type baked good. I think they would enjoy that. I have a muffin tin that makes 12 muffins so I will adjust the recipe to that amount...or maybe 8 depending who is here...but even if its just me, tony and Billy, they can put away a ton of food. Billy can eat more food than you can believe and swear he eats nothing...lol. Before Tony and I can even finish our plates, he is back from his room with a cleaned plate and getting seconds. And trust me, he takes a huge plate to his room.

InsaneCdn

Yorkshire pudding would be served with roast beef... gravy or drippings on the puddin'... but just if you're a proper englishman.
<wink>

LittleDudesMom

One of the wonderful memories I carry in my heart of my father was his love to cook his family breakfast on Saturday mornings.

Popovers were one of his specialties -- he would use individual pyrex glass bowls lined with butter to bake his popovers! I am going to surprise my mom on Christmas morning and serve these!!!

Sharon