eat, pray, love

Jena

was great, emotional, horrible, deep and truly a chic flick!!

I went last night alone, which was really appropriate for a movie like that and never enjoyed a movie so much. No interruptions, no feeling like i should say something during previews, nothing. alone. also was kinda liberating in a mini me way!

anyone else ever do anything alone that made you feel slightly empowered? i have to figure out what my next me date will be lol. he's always working i gotta keep busy.

Hi Jena,

I love going to movies alone. I enjoy watching the film in my own little world.

One time I went to a movie alone and no one was there but me. I was going to leave but I realized they were going to show the film anyway, so I stayed. I had a lovely time. It was Educating Rita with Julie Walters and Michael Caine.

How was Julia R. in Eat Pray Love? I haven't read the book yet, have you?

I've gone on a meditation retreat alone which was nice -- but they're silent anyway.

svengandhi

I can't stand Julia Roberts, never have been able to tolerate her, even in Hook where she was only about 6 inches tall. I, therefore, have no plans to see this movie.

A friend of ours owns a movie theater and my family goes frequently as we don't pay for admission or a reasonable amount of candy. I take advantage of their trips to the movies to have my alone time at home. I can't tolerate sitting quietly in the dark. The last movie I saw was "The Lightning Thief" which I did thoroughly enjoy because I love Greco-Roman mythology and that was in February.

Jena

a meditation retreat? when where? that sounds great and soo healing. i'm giong to be looking into joining a meditation facility here i need it. long overdue lol. she was great in it, there were certain parts i'd change yet it was cool because it was based on a true story of a woman much like the rest of us with whom had what she thought she wanted yet was totally unhappy and she did alot to change it.

if you like meditation you will love this movie. go see it. it's one of those movies i think any woman can relate to, in a big way.

svengandhi - glad to hear you get your alone time somehow. it's like oxygen at times for us isnt' it?? lol

M

ML

I'm going to see this next Saturday with a group of gals for my friend's 48th. I actually love my own company and do enjoy alone time which seems to be at a premium these days. I'm glad you had a good time.

Fran

Former desparate mom
I have heard that the book was wonderful. I thought I might read the book and then see the movie. Glad you enjoyed your me time. It is so important for me to have time to quiet my brain.

Jena

ML glad you are getting a girls night out, sanity is key!

Fran, i'm dying to get the book now. you should see the movie. unreal how this woman turned her life experience into a best seller isn't it?? i love stories like that of everyday ppl who make it

dashcat

I'm seeing this tomorrow with difficult child. We enjoy our chick flicks and maybe I can get a good cry in while I'm at it. I loved the book. I do enjoy going to movies alone and, yes, I find it empowering. I'm thinking of taking a cross country driving/photography trip solo ... maybe next year sometime....
Dash

svengandhi

Jena -

Yeah, I crave my alone time but with 5 kids it's kind of tough. One thing that really bothered me about the casting of the movie is that Julia Roberts is a homewrecker - her husband was married to another woman and she stepped in to steal him away and they cast her as a woman who was cheated on! How can she possibly relate when SHE's the lowlife cheater?

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I read the book. I threw it across the room, oh, probably 6 or 7 times. I nearly burned it or left it in the park on the bench a couple of times. But I could'typical teen give up on the book - even when I hate them, I must read them to the end! As you probably guessed, I did not like this book AT ALL. I found the author, elizabeth Gilbert or something...to be extremely - EXTREMELY - self centered, no, wait, EGOcentric throughout the entire book.

Now, that said, the things she experienced and the people she met, and the places she traveled all sounded wonderful. It was her take that I could not stand and the way it was all about her, moreso on so many occasions than about anyone she met or interacted with.

I happen to love Julia Roberts - love her, love her, love her, can't get enough of her, will see her in anything. I don't think she's a great actress, but I love her smile, her acting style, everything. So, I will see this movie - I am hoping that because Julia's in it, I won't hate it as much as the book.

Ahem, stepping down from box - sorry for the bad review and rant and all that. Lol.

ps: If you want to read a cool book, try "The Happiness Project" - that was much better and funner too!

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I loved the book, but can't see Julia Roberts in it at all. It's not so much that I dislike her (I think she's ok), but I just think she was the wrong choice for the role. I've decided to wait for the DVD on the movie. Note: I didn't like the choice of Owen Wilson for "Marley & Me," either, read that book and loved it.... so it took me a long time to see that movie. I ended up liking it, but still think they could have picked a better lead actor.