Echocardiogram?

Hi family,

Jayme is scheduled for an Echocardiogram tomorrow a.m. Just wondering if any of you or your kiddos have had one and what to look for while they are doing the exam. Jayme has symptoms of a heart murmur, getting blue lips and finger nail beds and fatigued.

pediatrician is trying to rule out heart issues as opposed to being on the Autistic spectrum. The blue lips show up most while she is in a concentrated mode. Such as doing a puzzle, coloring, eating, etc. pediatrician is wondering if she is just "forgetting to breathe".

We had to take Aly for one when she was 5 weeks old, and I really don't remember what it was like. I know it is an ultrasound type of test, non-invasive. Just wondering what to be looking for, issue wise.

Thanks for any help.

Hugs,
Vickie

jal

My son had an EKG before he started Abilify, slightly different, but close to an ECG (electrocardiogram). Hopefully the link and descipription of the procedure will be helpful.

Good luck.

What is an Echocardiogram: An echocardiogram is a test in which ultrasound is used to examine the heart. The equipment is far superior to that used by fishermen. In addition to providing single-dimension images, known as M-mode echo that allows accurate measurement of the heart chambers, the echocardiogram also offers far more sophisticated and advanced imaging. This is known as two- dimensional (2-D) Echo and is capable of displaying a cross-sectional "slice" of the beating heart, including the chambers, valves and the major blood vessels that exit from the left and right ventricle

An echocardiogram can be obtained in a physician's office or in the hospital. For a resting echocardiogram (in contrast to a stress echo or TEE, discussed elsewhere) no special preparation is necessary. Clothing from the upper body is removed and covered by a gown or sheet to keep you comfortable and maintain the privacy of females. The patient then lies on an examination table or a hospital bed

Sticky patches or electrodes are attached to the chest and shoulders and connected to electrodes or wires. These help to record the electrocardiogram (EKG or ECG) during the echocardiography test. The EKG helps in the timing of various cardiac events (filling and emptying of chambers). A colorless gel is then applied to the chest and the echo transducer is placed on top of it. The echo technologist then makes recordings from different parts of the chest to obtain several views of the heart. You may be asked to move form your back and to the side. Instructions may also be given for you to breathe slowly or to hold your breath. This helps in obtaining higher quality pictures. The images are constantly viewed on the monitor. It is also recorded on photographic paper and on videotape. The tape offers a permanent record of the examination and is reviewed by the physician prior to completion of the final report.

F

flutterbee

I had an echocardiogram a couple of weeks ago. The technician performing the ultrasound is simply taking pictures, etc. S/he doesn't interpret what they are seeing and hearing. You'll have to wait for the doctor to look at it and see what the doctor has to say.

house of cards

My difficult child had 2 done. They are easy. As mentioned above, the tech wouldn't answer any questions I had either. Mine was for heart murmurs. My son has 3 but they are "innocent" and don't effect him at all. I am fortunate to live very close to a specialized heart/lung hospital and trust the results.

Thank you everyone!

I pretty much understand how the procedure works, just wanted to try to "read" the monitor if possible. Jayme's f/u with pediatrician isn't till 5/21, long time to wait for results. :faint:

My neice has had several, some before her open heart surgery and several since. Guess I will give Sis a call and see what she says. I hadn't wanted my side of the family to know, just yet, as they are major worriers.

But thanks for the info and good thoughts!

Hugs,
Vickie

F

flutterbee

While the techs cannot legally interpret the results, they've done it enough to know if they're seeing something that raises a red flag and they'll let the doctor know. If it's something serious, I'll bet you'll hear before 5/21.

Stella Johnson

Hope all goes well. I watched the screen when they did mine. The tech showed me things and what they were while doing it but it all looked like Greek to me.

Let us know how it goes.

steph

Hi all,

Jayme did so well, lied there still for almost 40 minutes! They asked her to come back and show their older patients how to be so still, LOL!!!

The tech wouldn't tell me anything. Says that the test will be sent to a pediatrician Cardiologist in another city so that will add a few more days to getting the results. I am hoping pediatrician will call before 5/21, don't think I can wait that long.

I had no idea what I was looking at. Lots of red and blue stuff, things moving around. All Greek to me too, Steph!!

Will post when we get the results!

Hugs,
Vickie