Eco-friendly drain cleaner?

ctmom05

Good morning,

I want to use an eco-friendly drain cleaner in the pipe that my clothes washer drains into. Do you know of any such products that are available in a regular retail store?

nvts

You know, I used OxiClean and Club Soda to clean out our bathroom sink once. I was desperate so I poured down the OxiClean Powder and sent a 1 liter bottle of club soda down behind it. It bubbled up like h-e-double hockey sticks, but the drain ran slick as a whistle for months afterward.

I'm wondering if a combo of baking soda and clubsoda/seltzer might do the job? Or baking soda and vinegar (remember those volcanos that we used to build?)!

Beth

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Is your drain actually plugged or just slow running? If you are actually trying to unclog the pipes I think I would get one of those sink augers that run a cable down the pipes and you turn it to clear the pipes. If your drain is just slow running it could be your venting is plugged up. That probably means you will be climbing up a ladder to check it out from the top.....
Prevention is best.....NO grease down the drain......good luck......

Star*

call 911........call 911
Put yer lips over the pipe and BLOW - real hard. :full:

Seriously - it's a job for a professional as there are probably other things that need cleaned out - you could need a Roto Rooter -

But! Once it is cleaned out get a lint trap bag for over the pipe - When it gets clogged you just let it dry out - clean the junk out of it and put it back on - Worth it's weight in gold.

susiestar

Roll With It
When we bought our first home the older woman across the street (Interrupting Ida for her stellar timing on phone calls to a newly married couple, ROFL!) advised putting 1 cup baking soda and 1 cup vinegar down each drain once a month. It handles grease, is easy on the environment, and is CHEAP.

Lately there is a thingy in the plumbing section of Wallie World. It is a long white plastic thing you stick down the drain. It catches the hair/junk and pulls it out. It is a one use thing and was $2.26. AWESOME for a house with two females with thick long hair.

Never thought about oxiclean and club soda. I may try that. Hmmmm......

It is a good idea to have a plumbing snake on hand - the thing you put down the drain that turns? A very wise investment. We did the white plastic jobbies because we have some strange tubs with not enough room to get the snake in. I have to mess with them more than my hands will do sometimes to get the snake in.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hey Star every time I do what you suggested on my toilet... my face gets all wet!!! I also get a mouthful of water...
:dont_know::rofl::crazy2:

Sara PA

Apparently when I was away for three months something grew in my drains and slowed things down. I plunged at it for a year before I finally tried the baking soda & vinegar combo. Lots of baking soda & white vinegar. But it's cheap. Then I followed it up with a shot of Clorox, just for the heck of it. Between that and the little mesh thingy that catches the loose hair, my drains work great now. Before the little mesh thingy, I relied on a plunger a lot.

mom_in_training

I have yet to read all of the ideas posted but do have to say I did think about the baking soda and vinegar. Ummmmm I just had to rent an electric snake to clear my clogged kitchen sink yesterday as a matter of fact and returned it earlier today. Tried the good ole plunger but had no luck at all and got blisters on one of my fingers from the darn thing. The guy at the rental was like "Whats up with all of you woman doing this stuff?". I just looked at him and said because you men are to expensive. Lol!! They could'nt believe that I was going to do this myself. Ummmm, Its not the first and probably not the last time. Lol!!! Oh and yes my sink is clear now for a rental fee of $30.00 is all. I can deal with that.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Its 4am and I can't sleep and I jusr used all the baking soda and vinegar we have in the house on my drains. IT WAS FUN!!!!

(and we'll see if it makes them run better. Some actually are slow.)

trinityroyal

Baking soda and vinegar, followed up with a kettle of boiling water to wash it all down.
Repeat as necessary. Once the drain is clear, then do the baking soda/vinegar thing about once a month to keep them that way.

I like the idea about the little mesh thingy to keep the hair out.

Sara PA

Oh! I forgot about the boiling water. I had just bought myself a whisting tea pot and I used that. Between the foaming vinegar and baking soda, using my pretty red tea pot and ending up with a drain that worked, I had a lot of fun. But then I have no life and I'm easily entertained.