ECT would you allow?

W

Wonderful Family

An extremely difficult decision - sorry for jumping in here so late.

My Mom had ECT several years ago and lots of associated memory loss and I really struggled with this at that time. on the other hand, I've also seen where my Mom's last two recent suicide attempts occurred in a state-of-mind in which she had no idea of what she had done afterward-the last one in Oct she barely survived. Ultimately, anything would have been better than that and I would support just about anything that would stop us from loosing her this way.

I'm thrilled that things are working out for your son. Prayers and support to you and your family.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Monday nite we went to our psychotherapist, we've been seeing for a two years and He could see a definite change already, but it was ECT TX today. He said it was the most mature and responsible, he has heard him talk in 2 years.

Yet since difficult child was told not to take the Lamictal and the Topamax on the night before the TX's ( and we have had a consistency in the Lamictal for two months yet), the day after the treatment, I am seeing hypo mania symptoms and mixed symptoms.

Last night he forgot and took the Lamictal and the Topamax, realized it when he was getting ready for the Treatment, call the charge nurse, she said it was ok to come as long as he hadn't had anything NPO. So I talked to our psychiatrist before treatment, and we decided to keep him on medicine at night (even the morning dose) and he is going to do the full 12 TX treatments. He said it was okay for him to start the out of district placement school. I think it is a good plan but a lot of issues to get worked out yet.:smug:

He has been pretty much doing nothing around the house as far as chores, so I still have iPhone and told him don't plan no last minute clean up to get it back before work on Saturday. So we will see how this works.....next TX Friday.:angel3:

Lucedaleblessed

When he is getting his treatment then for how long do you have to wait before you can visit him and talk to him?

I am asking because the wife of one my husbands co-workers got this treatment for severe depression. It helped her alot, but I remember that he told us that it took a night for her to start remembering him. The memory-loss was there for the first 12-24 hours and then she was normal.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Hey Ya'll

I apologize for the long delay and not being able to keep the daily dairy on the ECT consistent! If you want to know why the delay will tell you all we have been thru and are still going thru which impeded the updates.

He has had no side effects, he is on maintenance once a week, and looks forward to it. In addition, to getting a better cocktail, the change is miraculous - AS LONG AS HE IS medication COMPLAINT.

About two months ago, a hidden talent came forth, He began to draw and wants to be a tattoo artist, they are really good and I am proud.

If ya'll have any questions, feel free to ask!:D

Fran

Former desparate mom
Excellent news. It's good to hear of other options.
I know, you know there is no cure but we hope for the best and realize we still have to plan for the worst.
Seems the best is happening to your son. Bravo!!!:bravo:

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Yes and thank you for the congrats! It is good to know a TX which had such bad PR now has improved and is improving the quality of lives!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It wouldn't be an option if it didn't help some. I am excited this is an option for your son.
I am so glad he are finding the benefits in it!
Art of any kind is a wonderful outlet, especially for those of us who are Mentally Ill. The channeling is so great for the moods. Good for him and for you.

Steely

This is so awesome!!! Wonderful news:D

So fill us in a little more. He is doing ECT in addition to what medications?

Give us a big hug for us - I for one - am so happy for both of you.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so happy for you and for difficult child!!! It is AWESOME to know this is once again back in our "toolbox" of ways to help our difficult children.

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
This is so awesome!!! Wonderful news:D

So fill us in a little more. He is doing ECT in addition to what medications?

Give us a big hug for us - I for one - am so happy for both of you.

He is doing Lamictal 300 mg qhs
Topomax 275 mg qhs
Trazodone 300 mg qhs
Lunesta 3 mg qhs
Klonopin .5 mg prn 2 per day

A lot less RX than he was on and NO SIDE EFFECTS, or tremors, or psychosomatic symptoms.

We were still having a lot of mania until we added the Trazadone and paniac attacks until we added the Klonopin. Now he is straight and his sense of humor is back.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am on just about the same medication routine as him! LOL
I recently switched my Klonopin for Xanax to see if it left me less blah...
I am so happy for you both!
Please keep us updated when you can!

TheOnlyMe

Relentless Warrior Mom
Well it has been eight months of TX, and it has been miraculous the change in the rapid cycles! We haven't had a medication change either (fingers crossed)! He loves his ECT. We have recently lost his Medicaid and he didn't care about the medications or dr visits, it was losing his ECT TXs!!!!

So just wanted to stop by and give an update and let all know in his case it is still a success story!