Education advocates

Status
Not open for further replies.

maril

I am researching information about advocates, found a thread at this site where it was suggested to the poster to check into PACER, searched and found the .org site, and am wondering if this is the correct one?

*After posting here and then went on to browse the site I mentioned above, I noticed a link to look up parent centers by state (looks like PACER is for Minnesota).

I suppose it would also be helpful to check my state's DOE website?

Last edited:

maril

Thanks very much to both of you! It is so helpful to have this search narrowed down and to be pointed in the right direction. I certainly will visit the sites you recommended.

mamabear01

I would just like to say PLEASE be careful when you find an advocate online. Just because you find someone on wrightslaw ect shouldn't mean you should automatically trust them or know they are for the child.

I found an IEE doctor on wrightslaw, thought this doctor was good after looking at her website, talking with her and ended up with a very bad IEE. This doctor did quite a few things that were unethical and my IEP meeting fell apart.

Basically, I didn't do my homework.

Its okay to consider one from an online site, especially trusted ones that were posted here, but take my advice... dig a bit further. You won't regret it in the long run.

Last edited:

maril

Sheila: Very good! Thanks. Lots and lots of info at that site.

mamabear01: Thanks for the heads up. I am sorry for the sake of your child and you that the advocate was unethical! I can imagine the advocate's actions caused delays and wasted precious time in your attempts to help your child.

Sheila

Thanks Meril. Adhd: A Place to Start https://web.archive.org/web/20111006221331/http://www.adhd-add.info/index.html is my web site. The oldtimers will remember that my screen name was once Alisha Leigh. lol

Unfortunate for difficult child's school district, their (old) Sp Ed Director from Hell can take most of the credit for my becoming a Child Advocate. It inspired me to try and help other parents navigate special education.

Just because you find someone on wrightslaw ect shouldn't mean you should automatically trust them or know they are for the child.
Very good advice and applies to anytime a parent seeks the help of any professional in my humble opinion. Always check out their credentials and get recommendations, if possible -- preferrably from parents of children who have used the professional.

Status
Not open for further replies.