Either Gracie is Cursed or I am!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
This is unbelievable! The 2nd very interested forever family has waffled!!

I'm guessing the woman's husband put an end to it as she'd made arrangements to pick Gracie up before he got home. Evidently he got home early.

Is this pup cursed? I mean come on. She's adorable even at 6 mos. She's sweet, fantastic even with very young children, great with other pets, crate trained, eager to make you pleased with her, and would be completely house trained if Nichole would actually MOVE when I tell her the pup needs to go. She'll even go potty without needing a leash.

Or is it me.

There is no way we can keep her. I just can not do this much longer. Rescue lady I can't even get to email me back, so I don't know what's up with her. I haven't gotten a reply from her in 3 wks now. I can't pay to post her anywhere. She's on Craig's list and on freecycle. I can't afford to place an ad in the paper..... And I don't know what else to do.

I CAN'T KEEP HER!!!!

She's a sweety, I love her. The two have nothing to do with each other.

3 dogs inside is driving my stress levels thru the roof. And when Betsy and Gracie get to puppy playing.....OMG! ZOOOOM! JUMP! ZOOOOOOM! BANG! ZIIIIIIP BANG THUMP They're just 2 black streaks racing by at the speed of light distroying everything in their path. They don't mean to, but it happens.

And if I step on the warm squishy pile from a pup I just told Nichole needed to go OUT one more time I just may be bald from ripping out all of my hair.

Yes, she cleans up the mess. I'm just rather gifted at finding them.

And then of course..............There is Doggie Trouble. Being a pup, Gracie finds it naturally, and often. Bad part is, Betsy is reverting back to bad ol puppy habits that I worked hard to break. Even the old girl Molly has been getting into troubles of late.

And Gracie is 6 months. The dreaded HEAT can arrive at any time and I can't afford to get her spayed. I have a MALE dog un-nuetured right in my back yard that is Betsy's Daddy! I have another right across the alley. ANother next door. THREE more down the alley a bit. And lord only knows how many others are in the neighborhood.

Our shelter is full to overflowing. If there are rescue groups that don't charge a fee to bring a pet to them I can't find them.

So much for thinking I'd have a nice calm weekend to study for finals.

Oh, and on top of it ALL?????

I'm going to have to give up Bruce the cat. God alone knows why this stray cat decided his world should revolve around me. I'm not much of a cat person. He made me love him. I couldn't help it. What else are you gonna do with a lap full of furball???

He's an angel cat. I swear. NEVER gets into any sort of trouble. NEVER. Worst thing he does is drive spikes into my legs trying to get up into my lap. (which is 24/7) The grands can pat him and squeeze all their love on him and he just soaks it up and purrs.

So why would I give away such an angel cat??? I'm ALLERGIC, severely. Allergy medications aren't working.

Did talk to sister in law tonight though. He likes cats, and he's always liked Bruce. easy child did pawn the stray Bruce onto us when she couldn't bare having him bawling on her porch to come inside. (he's terrified of outdoors) sister in law is going to ask easy child if they can try Bruce with their cat first.

I hope it works. Betsy will be devistated when Bruce leaves. They're bestest buds. Drink from the same dish, and Betsy will even share food with Bruce. They play and cuddle. If he goes to easy child's Betsy and Bruce can still visit.

I think I'm going with "I'm the cursed one"

I didn't want Gracie. I was furious when Nichole brought her home. (Found out later this was Travis' idea!) But after seeing how terrified she was an emaciated, and filthy I just didn't have the heart to make Nichole take her back to the people she got her from.

Even though we couldn't afford it, I gave her the puppy shots, wormed her, fed her. Although I didn't have the time, I helped Nichole work with her.

And now I can't seem to make the most important step happen for her.

I don't want to have to take Gracie to the shelter. But if I can't find her a forever home pretty darn fast I'm not going to have a choice. Then all that effort was wasted.

You have no idea how long I've needed to get that off my chest.:sad::badmood:

Abbey

Spork Queen
You know, this might seem a bit weird, but have you ever considered contacting the Animal Planet channel? They love stories like this and might be able to help find a great placement.

I'd LOVE to have a cat or a dog, but 3 parrots are enough. My daughter is very allergic to pet fur of any kind, which has prevented us to having dogs/cats. Now that she is out of the house, it's darn tempting. You're cat sounds adorable.

Abbey

donna723

Lisa, have you talked to someone in your vet's office? Most areas have programs that offer low cost or free spays and neuters several times a year. Someone at your vet's office should be able to tell you when and where it should be, or they could tell you who to call to find out. Does this "rescue" have the puppy listed on "Petfinder"?

I'm a little confused because this doesn't sound like any "rescue" group I've ever heard of. NO legitimate, responsible rescue group would allow an unaltered dog or puppy to be adopted through them! They just don't do that! Ever! And almost always, the rescue group takes on the responsibility of the pets medical expenses, including the spay or neuter. A responsible rescue group would have interviewed potential adopters beforehand and would not have allowed this puppy to be adopted by a family where the husband didn't want it! And a legitimate rescue would not ignore your emails for several weeks. And no legitimate rescue I've ever heard of would charge you to take the puppy in to their care! This just doesn't sound right to me.

What breed (or breeds) is the puppy? There are good, responsible rescue groups that handle just about every dog breed there is and they also accept mixes. Many cover multi-state areas. Many would even transport the dog and would find another foster home for her until she's adopted. The Boston Terrier board I'm a member of has excellent links to all kinds of rescue groups. Or maybe someone there would know of one in your area. If you PM me some information on the puppy, I'll see what I can do and give you links to some rescue groups. PLEASE don't take her to a shelter.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Lisa -

Visualize me - (a good friend) - now I read your story......now I slap BOTH my hands over my mouth, and...I am saying something, but you can't discern what I'm mumbling. You notice my body; bending at the hips in a jerk motion forward, then I throw my head back (still with hands over mouth) and just completely leave your house.

Neither one of you is cursed, Nicole just stepped in and altered Gracies stars. She was never meant to come to live at your home and cause you more work. You have a heart, Nicole disobeyed you and THIS dear friend is the (MMMM andMMMM mMmmmmmmmm) thing I was talking about.

Congratulations on your new puppy - looks like it is easier to keep her than to stress yourself out continually to find her another home. Every day her chances are slimmer and slimmer. Maybe just resigning yourself to the fact that Gracies here to stay would be easier than what you've been forced into doing.

I said it before and I'll say it again - YOU are a wonderful person with a ton of stuff on your plate and you can either continue to allow your kids to drop seconds and thirds there for you to eat or you can clean your plate, clean your house and start having YOUR life. You are too good of a person to live in a tornado all the time.

HUGE HUGS -
Much Love
Star

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
Yeah Lisa - I hear your pain - Danny's dog Dosey has got to go and she is so not an easy placement. On her own, for being a purebred red nose pit, she is wonderful, loving, always wanting to give you kisses, just lives for your attention, is trained. HOWEVER, the breed is so not good with other females, and of course two of MY three are. I have been taking Mags and Tills to work with me every day as I am so tired of seeing Mags get a beating. She is such a big goofy gentle spirit. I left Mags home the other day cause I though Danny was going to be here, and he left, and it was a disaster, blood everywhere when I got home. Both of them had bite marks everywhere.

I found a rescue who is sure that they can find a home for her but the boarding is 15.00 a day which is so going to be a stretch for my budget. Dan absolutely adores this dog, we all do. I just cannot let her go to the pound - ours won't even let them be rescued from there - its an automatic death sentance and I just go to pure tears when I think how scared she would be to be in a place like that. Am still looking but it may just be down to me having her put down, and that is just so not fair either. And of course, I gotta deal with difficult child who insists MY dogs are the problem..

The dog has absolutely trashed my living room sofas to the point where they need to be tossed - now she is working on the den sofas. She has eaten my dining room chairs, and chews on the walls. She never does this stuff when we are home, but so does not like to be alone..sigh..

Poor babies, they never asked to be born, sometimes homeless and their lives are just so horrible being out on the street, or mistreated. The City of LA has institued a mandatory spay and nueter program - it needs to be done or its a 500.00 first time fine, going up next time. Am so not into government intrustion into our lives, but this law makes absolute sense.

Marcie

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so very sorry. Your children conspired to go against you, knowing you would NOT throw a poor pitiful dog out. Until you are ready to stand behind your NO, this will continue.

There should be a no-kill shelter that can take Gracie. The cat is another issue. Have you tried washing Bruce with the allergy wipes or washes? That would be the first choice if we were allergic to a cat. Can you send him to me? We are looking at getting another cat for our Gracie - she wants a pet. While we are thinking about a kitten, we would take Bruce, even keep his name (though Bruce is the name of my cousins hated exh - terrible idiotic man, but we won't penalize the cat for this!). We are in Oklahoma. IF you are anywhere near Cinci let me know. I have an aunt who used to work for a vet and has amazing connections and ability to find homes for unplaceable pets. Your Gracie shouldn't be any problem for her, in my humble opinion.

I will pm my phone number if you are interested in contacting my aunt or getting the cat to me.

Susie

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Has it occurred to you that what's meant to be has happened? I'm not being cheeky, honestly, and I know you don't want another dog, but it seems you have one and she loves you and you love her and....well, haven't you done all you can do?? You've put up signs with her adorable picture, right? Contacted her breed's rescue people? Spoken with the vets in your area? Emailed everyone you know?....what else can you do? Maybe when you accept her into YOUR family a 'forever family' will magically appear?

Sending supportive hugs - I know this has been difficult.

donna723

You know Daisy, maybe they're right! Maybe you were supposed to end up with this dog!

Almost two years ago I had two dogs - my Boston, Ragan, and my little mixed breed, Freebie, and we were getting along just fine. Then one day I got a phone call out of the blue from Ragan's breeder asking if I would take Katy - free, no strings. Katy was (and still is) a jet-propelled hyper "problem child" of a Boston who had to be spayed because of complications during her C-section for her first litter. Katy makes a typical "hyper" Boston look like they're dozing off! They already had too many to keep her as a pet and didn't know what to do with her. Now I needed the bother and expense of a third dog about as much as I needed another hole in my head, but an hour later I was bringing her home in a little crate!

And you know what happened? That goofy little dog has brought so much pure joy into my life, I don't know now how I ever got along without her! Yes, she's hyper and she's "high maintenance", but she is also the smartest, funniest, most loving dog I've ever had! There is not a day goes by that I don't have at least one good belly-laugh at her antics, and some days I've desperately needed that! I truely believe that I was supposed to end up with my Katy.

The right "forever family" may or may not come along for your Gracie. But in the meantime, see if you can find a low cost spay and neuter clinic, see if they have low cost "rabies clinics" in your area for her shots, and just enjoy her! Maybe she was meant to be yours all along! It happens!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Everytime someone says they think she's meant to be ours I cringe.

Not because she's a bad girl or anything. But the situation right now is all wrong for it.

She surprised us tonight. When sister in law brought Darrin over she decided to "protect" hearth and home. It's the first time she's ever felt brave enough to bark at a stranger and NOT back down. The bark was too cute. Reminds me of the puppy from Fox and the Hound.

At the moment a good friend of Nichole's is interested in Gracie. Her dog passed away. She's missing her canine companion. So we'll see.

We have no vets that do low cost altering. Which is a huge part of the out of control pet population down here. Our humane society doesn't require spaying or nuetering before adoption. Stupid huh?

As for the rescue group Lady I was working with...I know it is in her contract that all animals have to be spayed or neutered before adoption. I assumed she was planning to handle that part as she knew we don't have the money for it.

Heck, I can't even afford the older dogs rabies shots right now.:sad-very:

I'm going to "take over" Gracie for the week we're out of school and try to finish the housetraining and work on her basic commands. Sit she does, except when really hyper or excited, and she's learning beg. She'll be able to be out of the crate more too that way and maybe she'll calm down a bit.

F

flutterbee

Lisa,

There is a list of rescues and shelter for the state.

Maybe one of them could help you find a home for Gracie? I have taken in a foster kitty and have found a foster group that will let me post his picture and bio on their website under other listings. They might even allow you to act this one time as one of their own fosters and take care of medical bills and food. I chose not to go that route with the kitty, but it was an option I found with a rescue group.

I'd take her if I could. When I was sleeping tonight I dreamt that I picked up a cat and a dog...or rather they found me. That's all I need. :faint:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Thanks for that link Heather. I check them tomorrow inbetween studying.

Are you sure I haven't been holding them all this time just for you??? lmao