jcox

Yesterday Elijah's two week good spree came crashing to an end. He woke up very hyper. He pulled his ten y.o sister's hair so hard she fell to the floor. He threw a chair at his other sister who is twelve. He choked the puppy. He thew his television on the floor twice breaking it. Then got mad because it was broken. I had to hold his body during which time his nose started bleeding. He then tried blowing his nose saying he wanted to blow all his blood out so he could be dead. He proceded to eat some watermellon seeds and paper thinking that would make him die. I decided to drive him a half hour to his counseling appointment. Bad decision!

On the way there he was banging the windows in the van, kicking them, trying to open the door as we were speeding down the highway... thank goodness for child lock! Then he got his arm out of his seatbelt, leaned forwards, and grabbed my hair as I was driving. He did this about three times on the way to his apt. Twice once off the highway so bad my head came back as I was driving. He was throwing things at me like his lunch box and a dust pan that we keep in the van as I drove. Once we got to his appointment he would not let me unbuckle him. He can not unbuckle himself because we have this cover on his seatbelt because he used to love to unbuckle as we were driving. So I leaned over to try to unbuckle him and he tried to attack me again. I called inside to his counselor who came outside. I told her I thought he needed to go be evaluated and she agreed.

We were in the ER from about 2:45 until 1:30 this morning. The crisis service worker last night was awesome. I had a list of hospitals I would approve him going to and he went right down the list. Number five had a bed, but none of the others like the hospital where his psychiatrist is. They were all full. So at 1:30 in the morning I had to drive an hour from where his appointment is... an hour and a half from my house to the child psychiatric hospital where they admitted him to do his intake paperwork. I got home at about five this morning. I only got about two hours of sleep. Then the phone began ringing... nothing major, just his social worker introducing herself and setting up a meeting for later this afternoon... and his psychiatrist calling about medication changes.

They are making immediate medication changes beginning this morning. They are stopping his Risperdal, Vistaril, and Celexa immediately. They are adding Abilify, going to most likely up his Lithium if not in the therapeutic range, which it was not when last checked... lower his clonidine to only one dose at bedtime instead of four times a day. He said they will use the Risperdal as needed for aggitation atleast during the changes. He is putting him on something called Cojentin.. not sure of the spelling just in case of side effects.

The psychiatrist told me Elijah presents as a child with Autism, most likely Aspergers, and bipolar. He said Elijah is complicating.

I am going to go for a meeting with the social worker this afternoon and a visit with Elijah. My heart is breaking apart, but at the same time I really think he needs this. It is just so hard. This is the first time he has been hospitalized. Last night he knew how to make me feel bad. He was crying Mommy please don't leave me here. I kept saying sorry but they will help it so your body does not tell you to do bad things so much and they will help you feel better.

I am full of worries. My heart literally hurts. I wonder if they will take good care of him, help him with bathing etc. that he needs to be talked through. Wonder if they will comfort him while he is upset. Also lots of other worries. This is so hard for me, but inside I know it had to be done. Even his new psychiatrist said that he needed to be watched 24-7 so he could be evaluated. I am happy the medication changes are moving right along.

I could use lots of prayers now that Elijah will be safe, that they will take good care of him and comfort him, that he will know I love him, for strength to get through this, and for safe travels when we have to drive an hour and a half to see him each day. Also for the rest of my family to be strong.. for Elijah to be alright...

Thanks for all the support... any suggestions etc. are always greatly appreciated.

Janice

busywend

HUGS for your hurting mommy heart!

You know it is the right thing...but it sure is a difficult thing to go through. He needs it. You just keep telling yourself that. This is the way to being the best mom you can be right now.

BusynMember

Lots of hugs and prayers. (((Hugs))) I'm glad he's off the anti-depressant, but there can be withdrawals. Don't they plan to wean him off slowly? I'd demand they do neuropsychologist testing when he is more stable. Since he's there--may as well get them to do it all.

Janna

I'm so sorry, Janice. But, it sounds like, in hindsight, a Godsend, too.

I thought over your lasts posts the poor guy was on alot of medications. I'm actually relieved to hear they are getting rid of some. D did VERY well on the Lithium/Abilify for about 16 months. It was a very good combo for him.

I'll tell you a secret, too. Watch the Lithium level. The Bipolar Child states theraputic range is between .8 and 1.2. Hospitals state the theraputic range is between .6 and 1.2. Many kids DO very well at the lower levels. D never did. He maintained nicely at 1.0 or higher. If he'd drop to .7, he'd cave. Just food for thought.

Dunno about Cojentin? Never heard of it, but I'm sure someone will come along that has.

I hated Risperdal. Gave D hallucinations, constipation, the whole nine yards. I know alot of kids do good on it, but not every kid.

D is in the Bipolar/Aspie mix. It's very, VERY strenuous. Because not only do you get the black/white (NO grey) thinking - you get the intense up and down mood swings right along with it.

Take this time for you. I know that's hard - but try.

Sending hugs.

jal

I am sorry you have to go through this, but you know you did do the right thing. My difficult child was first hospitalized right after his 6th b-day for three weeks. I do know how you feel. You wonder how or if they are caring for him when he is upset, or trying to get dressed or bathing. They do help them, especially the young ones like our difficult child's. Take this time to recharge and regroup yourself and your girls. Best of luck to you.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Hang in there. I to hope they do all of those things you worry about.
There is nothing wrong with asking, you are paying for this. No matter how they make you feel, you are a customer!
You have a right to ask questions, to know what treatment he is getting, how he is being treated.
They should want to know how he responds, what helps him, what works, what doesn't.
Unfortunately many feel they don't need a parents input or they *know* more than the parent.
DO not let them push you around though.
When my K was in a psychiatric hospital for 5 weeks, I had to be a huge bi-ch but they respected by the end.
I would push for a plan and know the plan through out his stay.

Cogentin- It is used for movements caused by AP's. (Extrapyramidal Side Affects)

(((( )))) He is safe and so are you. Focus on stability: it will take awhile. My difficult child has been in hopital 2 weeks now. It is a releif but also a lot of grief/ mixed feelings. Compassion

W

Wonderful Family

Thoughts and prayers are with you. I don't have anything really to add; just that I feel your pain.

susiestar

Roll With It
Janice,

I am saying LOTS of prayers for your hurting mommy heart and for Elijah. Chances are very high that he will continue to beg and plead for you to not leave him there and then be perfectly fine (as much as is possible) when you are gone. Much of this is because the rigid structure of the hospital - it makes them feel safe. Very VERY hard to create at home though.

Cogentin is an anti-seizure medication, it is used for the extrapyramidal side effects (can be all over shaking, or other involuntary movements) caused by MANY other medications (even Zofran - the anti-nausea medication causes it, as does amitryptyline). I learned about these side effects because my daughter recently had a horrible round of them from amitryptyline given to prevent her migraines.

This truly IS for the best, esp as out of control as he was. Make SURE they know that he says his body is telling him to do things that hurt others. These may be command hallucinations and that would be worrying (but treatable at his age, I am sure.)

If you don't have a Parent Report, it would be good to start one and have a rough draft to share with the psychiatric hospital. It will help them get things right and not confuse him with other kids.

don't be afraid to say no to a treatment plan, to demand to know what the treatment plan is, to know what they are doing with medications and why, to ask why they are not tapering the medications down instead of stopping cold turkey (esp with Celexa), ask if they are comforting him when he is upset, ask any and every question you think of.

Keep a pad of paper JUST for keeping track of things. have it with you at all times. Write down questions for the doctor in it and go through the entire list every time you are there. That helped me greatly when Wiz was in the psychiatric hospital for 4 months.

So do whatever it takes to get what you need for your son. It doesn't matter if they think you are a witch, because you are not going dancing with them - you are only seeing them during this stay.

Many hugs, and remember that the nurses will tell you if Elijah is not doing OK when you are not there. All you have to do is ask. Usually our kids do just fine, esp after they get things adjusted.

Sorry he hurt your daus and the puppy and you.

TerryJ2

Janice,
despite your ordeal at home and in the car, you made the best decision at the best time. That is something we can see from the other end of the screen and keyboard. If you had taken him in when he was calm, no one would have figured out what was going on. This is going to be good.
I am so glad (if you don't mind me butting in) that he is being taken off some of those medications. He was on so much! And especially at such a young age! The dr sounds great.
Yes, they will take good care of him.
Please, please get some sleep. When you meet with-the soc wkrs and dr and Elijah again, you need to be at your best. You need to take notes and pay attention.
I am so sorry it's far away but it does sound like it's going to work out.
Oh, and you can bring in a blanket or a soft toy for him, if you left it behind.

Many, many hugs.

BestICan

This community rocks.
Sending hugs. You're in my thoughts - you've been very brave and I'm glad that Elijah is getting some good care and attention.

house of cards

I can't even begin to imagine how terrifying and difficult this has been for you both, it does sound like you didn't have any other choice, that he needs this at this time. I hope they can fully diagnosis him and get him stabilized so you all can start living a better life.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janice,
I know this is hard but he is safe and getting the help he needs. Interestingly enough all three times my difficult child has been hospitalized have involved incidents in the car. It is very scary and I'm sorry you had to endure that.

I will keep Elijah and your family in my prayers. Hugs.

Alttlgabby

I am going to go for a meeting with the social worker this afternoon and a visit with Elijah. My heart is breaking apart, but at the same time I really think he needs this. It is just so hard. This is the first time he has been hospitalized. Last night he knew how to make me feel bad. He was crying Mommy please don't leave me here. I kept saying sorry but they will help it so your body does not tell you to do bad things so much and they will help you feel better.

I am full of worries. My heart literally hurts. I wonder if they will take good care of him, help him with bathing etc. that he needs to be talked through. Wonder if they will comfort him while he is upset. Also lots of other worries. This is so hard for me, but inside I know it had to be done. Even his new psychiatrist said that he needed to be watched 24-7 so he could be evaluated. I am happy the medication changes are moving right along.

I could use lots of prayers now that Elijah will be safe, that they will take good care of him and comfort him, that he will know I love him, for strength to get through this, and for safe travels when we have to drive an hour and a half to see him each day. Also for the rest of my family to be strong.. for Elijah to be alright...

Thanks for all the support... any suggestions etc. are always greatly appreciated.

My heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you are feeling since I was there myself just this past August. Believe me, it was your child crying out for help. Now he is getting it. They will take good care of him. Just take it one day at a time. Prayers for you and your family!

gwenny

I'm So sorry your in such pain, but I beleive that your son will get the help he needs and will be safe in the hospital.

My prayers are with you.

Donna