email from difficult child's teacher

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
"This morning was a little tough for difficult child with the new changes. He did hide behind my rocking chair and he needed to be taken out of the room a few times. He calmed down about 9:15-9:30 (I had left him at 7:45) and he worked with the para in our listening center during literacy stations. He was great the rest of the morning until after recess. He didn't want to come in during recess, so getting back into the classroom took a little work. We then had from about noon to just now a little extra time since today we only have 30 minutes of specials. We worked with puzzles and books and he worked very well with the other students. He seems comfortable in the setting and seems to be making friends. The other students have asked him questions and have been including him in the activities. He's in music now, then we'll have math, recess, and quiet reading.

I'll let you know how the rest of the day goes. I think that he will be a welcomed member of our classroom community. Hope your day is going well."

All in all, not too shabby.

Last edited:

everywoman

What a nice note. I know you needed it after this morning. I hope this will be a good fit for difficult child. Success breeds success.

susiestar

Roll With It
I think that is GREAT! They saw some behaviors AND saw that they can be managed. And he is being welcomed by the other kids. It really sounds like this school will welcome him and help him learn and grow and succeed. I am glad you found this placement for him.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's a great report and it sounds like he's doing well. :D Hopefully they will continue the open channel and try to keep things positive even when things get bumpy (and they eventually will).

BestICan

This community rocks.
I honestly can't believe how pro-active and responsive this public school is being. Unbelievable. Fabulous. And great news about difficult child!

Yay!

'Chelle

That report sounded pretty good to me. Hope the rest of his day went well. I think for our difficult child, once he had a few good days with teachers who got him, he figured out he could do the school thing and get through. Hope this is the first of better days for your difficult child, and he realizes that sometimes school can be a good thing.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The final report wasn't so great. He ended up throwing a chair in the classroom, among other things.

BUT

He did have good periods in between the bad. The SpEd teacher understands him. She saw him throw a fit that he was completely in control of, and later, watched him spew a string of 7 profanities that she feels was absolutely out of his control. She saw the principal work thru an episode with him and use joint compressions and says she saw him calm down. She gets it. She asked permission to modify the plan to give him some heavy work right off the bat in the morning (of course I said yes). They are involving the janitor, of all people! lol (its a small town - he's also the guy that fixed difficult child's go-cart!) difficult child will be helping him push the garbage cans around the school.

He talked with the SpEd teacher about the "bad" teacher from his old school for a while today. Definitly some obstacles to overcome there, but they weren't daunted, thus far.

He was hitting his para and the janitor had to help her get him into the self-contained room when I picked him up, and difficult child said he was leaving the school forever. What we all worried about with him having 3 para's instead of 1, we are now thinking is a good thing - having the 3 of them, they get a break. They said he is really intense.

So he had good periods thru the day - they saw that he can do this. They also saw how much effort it takes to make it happen.

And not for nothing, one of his paras said "is he like this at home? How do you do this?" I just told her she should see my house....

trinityroyal

Shari, it does sound like this is a good placement for him.
It's probably a good thing that they saw some of wee difficult child's behaviour right off the bat, AND that they were able to handle the outbursts. Success breeds success. They have some good techniques, and as you said, they get it.

I agree that having 3 paras definitely helps.

Yay!

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
Shari,
I'm so glad the school seems equipped to deal with everything. This sounds like a good placement!

Andy

Isn't it wonderful when teachers can look past the bad behavior and see the potential of this awesome little guy? I am so excited about this new school. He is going to be appreciated and understood and worked with.

jannie

trying to survive....
Shari-
The first day is over....Due to a wide range of emotions, transitions and anxieties he has already shown the school some significant behaviors...and they seemed prepared to handle them. So all in all it was an ok start....I think it is great that they are being proactive and making changes they see fit. I think it is really important that the school followed through on behaviors and they called for help when needed. difficult child was removed from the classroom when his behavior was unsafe....hopefully he will learn that they will not let him be unsafe...Working with building staff is a good idea because it will allow him to burn some energry...If he likes this type of activity it is possible to add in extra time as a positive reinforcer.

Unless the school has said otherwise I would not rehash all the negative behaviors of the day. Keep school consequences in school. Focus on the positives as he starts his day at home.

Fingers crossed for improvement on day 2...Sending hugs--