Email question

klmno

Is there a way to archive or save some email messages and addresses if you are going to have the service disconnected so you'll have it on your hard drive?

And how does wireless internet work? I know that I'm behind the times on this, but I've always had a modem. So if I stay someplace that has wireless, what do I need to do after setting my computer up to access the internet?

Last edited:

mstang67chic

Going Green
Re: email....I'm not the most tech savy person so someone else may have a better (easier) idea but...

I'm assuming that the email addy you want to save stuff from is one that is associated with the internet service (example: [email protected] or something like that), correct? If so, I would set yourself up with a general, free email account (yahoo, gmail...something along that line) and import the addresses to your address book for that email. As for the emails you want to save...just forward them to the new addy. Another good thing about a yahoo/other email address like this....no matter where you are or what provider you use, you can always acess your email.

As for the wireless....it's kind of like a radio signal. There is a router that sends out a signal. As long as your computer is wireless capable, all you have to do is find it in your menu and it will pretty much walk you through it. For example, if you are at a cafe that has free wireless, find CONNECT TO in your menu (probably under network or settings) and it will un a quick search to see what is available. Click on the one you want and it will be pretty self explanatory from there.

Did that help or just confuse you even more? LOL

CrazyinVA

Staff member
To save the emails, your best bet is to forward the ones you want to save to an internet email account, such as yahoo or gmail. I've had to do that before.

You need to have a wireless card in your laptop to connect to a wireless network. If you have one, there should also be a program on the laptop to search for available networks.

klmno

ok- thanks! These are easy things. I don't know if I have the wireless capablity- this computer is about 3-4 years old and is not a laptop. It was considered as having great capabilities at the time I bought it though.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Yep....Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, even AOL all have free email services. All you have to do is go to their sites and sign up.

My personal preference is Yahoo because there is a LOT of room for stuff. You can also make all kinds of folders to keep various emails in. I have some for different online groups, recipes, pictures (sent by email), all sorts of things. Plus (and most of them have this also) Yahoo has a chat feature that is free. Also, you can do a voice chat as long as you have speakers and a micro phone. Theoretically, you could talk to Marg for FREE as long as you both have a yahoo account.

KTMom91

If you want to back up your backup, get more than one free email account. I have four addresses, two of which I actually use, on four different domains.

Re: the wireless...Hubby says if your computer doesn't have built in wi-fi or a wi-fi card, you can ask for a cable to connect to the Internet, using the port in the room, if you're at a hotel or someplace like that.

DammitJanet

gmail is through google and also has a ton of free storage. so does aol which is also free. I dont like hotmail but to each his own. I use aim email which is through aol because...well I have no idea why. Just set it up that way when aim asked me if I wanted to do it...lol.