EMDR Therapy - anyone tried this?

C.J.

I had a conversation with the adoption social worker N* is working with. She called me for some information - and we got to talking about therapy N* would need through the adoption process.

I told her N* had seen a psychiatrist for six years, but I stopped wasting his time and my money when she refused to participate in therapy once she was released from the Residential Treatment Center (RTC).

SW asked me if I'd ever heard of EMDR therapy - she thought she may recommend this type of therapy to N*. I remember seeing a program on TV using EMDR therapy during the last year - but had no really thought much about it.

If anyone has had any experience with this, I'd appreciate knowing what you thought of the therapy, outcome, lasting success, etc.

If not, I thought I'd share something you may want to investigate for yourselves. It may be helpful to someone.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's interesting. It sort of sounds like a cross between hypnosis and desensitization therapy.

I can see where it could help for people with certain types of problems.

jbrain

Hi,
my dtr and I both are receiving EMDR therapy. My dtr has a dissociative disorder and I have some panic type issues. I think we are both making progress but it is a long process so far. It seems there are so many layers to uncover! I really like and respect our therapist and my dtr trusts him completely.
Jane

susiestar

Roll With It
EMDR is considered the gold standard of therapy for PTSD. It was VERY helpful for my Jessie and I both.

We saw a therapist who used a combo of EMDR and other therapy techniques and it was great. We were able to really deal with a lot of things.

I got our tdocs name from the site you mentioned (I am pretty sure that is the site). They have a list of docs by state who are trained in this therapy.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It really helped difficult child overcome some of her issues with her father as well as some other things relating to her school experience in elementary.

Excellent therapy if you have the right person doing it.