Emily Update

J

joneshockey

She drank 6 oz. during the night, but only has drank 2 1/2 oz. so far today :(

J

joneshockey

We made it thru night #2... Emily seems like she is starting to feel quite a bit better :) She is now eating more and seems happier. We will see how she does today with her grandma, since I am heading off to work :( . I will keep everyone posted as much as I can! Tomorrow she is scheduled to have a bladder x-ray.

TerryJ2

Boy, you were up early!
I'm glad she's doing better. Let us know what the xray says. Interesting ... I'd think an ultrasound would be used, but what do I know? How is her mood?

DDD

So glad your Mom can cover the daytime hours for you. Definitely good news that Emily is eating again.
Fingers crossed, again, that they can figure this out soon. Hugs. DDD

J

joneshockey

Well Emily & my Mom had a pretty good day today... I will get to stay with her tomorrow, since I had to take the day off for her bladder x-ray. The dr. waited to come in tonight until after I got back to the hospital --- it is looking like he wants to keep her in until late in the day Sunday to give her as many IV antibiotics as possible before I have to start back to work on Monday.

J

joneshockey

Sorry that I haven't given an update lately... things have been pretty busy up at the hospital. She had her bladder x-ray yesterday & it was discovered that she had urinary reflux on her left side. The dr. says that he doesnt feel like this has been the cause of all of her infections because it doesnt appear that there is any blockage, so it really didnt tell us much :( --- it still is looking like we will be getting out of here Sunday afternoon :) I am thankful for this because it would be horrible for me to miss out on Halloween on Monday! I am heading back to work again today so Grandma will be at the hospital with Emily again. I will give you updates as info becomes available.

Cindy

DDD

I can only imagine how tired and stressed out you must be. Don't forget to discuss with them the problem you had with the mint flavored medicine just in case they tell you to resume using it. You might also ask about increasing water and appropriate juices in hopes it lessens the chance of reoccurences. My thoughts are with you. DDD

buddy

Glad she is feeling better. Too bad you can't have a vacation after things like this! She defninately stays in prayers.

J

joneshockey

Good Morning Everyone! I am sooo looking forward to us leaving the hospital tomorrow afternoon --- I think boardum has really set in for little Emily :(
She doesnt seem to want to play with any of the toys that I brought from home, so I am waiting for the child life people to arrive with a different selection of toys for her. Emily seems to be doing very well and now it is just a waiting game to see how long her current IV lasts --- 5 days is usually their max, which would be sometime today. It doesnt sound like her dr. will have a new one put in if it does go bad... it would just mean we could go home earilier :) As much as I want this to happen I know the more doses of IV antibiotics she gets the better.

I already have checked with the dr. about what oral medications she will be on and he is perscribing a capsule that can be mixed in with formula or baby food --- so hopefully that goes better. I will update you later today with any news I receive after the dr. has been in.

Cindy

buddy

Yeah for emily. I am sure you are exhausted. So hard to rest in a hospital when you are watching a child. Hope she gets a little more medications, but glad that you can do the capsules. I know we did that for seizure medications when difficult child was little and it did work well for us. But the little tiny beads inside had no flavor. powder can be bitter etc. so I would think if it is that then mixing with a drink might work better. You will figure it out. I suppose you can put a tiny dot on your tongue and see how strong it is.

SO happy she is well enough to care what toys she wants. Go Emily. Did they say what they are going to do about what they found on the xray? It sounds similar to what my cousin had, but they didn't know until she was an adult and her kidneys had failed (it was on both sides). they said if she was a child they would have repaired it. (by the way she had a transplant, got her OD and is an eye doctor who then had two kids, so it worked out for her too) Of course I dont know anything about it so just wondering because it rang a bell.

TerryJ2

Thank you for the updates, Cindy.
Urinary reflux ... can that be resolved through surgery? Although I'm not sure why the dr doesn't think that's causing the infections. I would certainly think it can't help.
One more piece of the puzzle ...
Hugs.

J

joneshockey

I am sure that it can be fixed thru surgery, but her urologist doesnt think that it is nescessary at this time --- he is VERY conservative and believes that waiting is best especially with such small children. He did say that he would be ordering an MRI the next time she gets an infection. He is hopeful that she will be healthy for many months after this current stay... I am NOT holding my breath on that one! However, time will only tell...

Steely

I was thinking the same thing as Terry. I have something similar to reflux - basically the urine has a hard time moving through the kidney quickly - and because the urine stays too long it is more of a breeding ground for bacteria. It would seem like reflux has the same basic typed of problems.They put me on a diuretic and it helped a lot to keep the urine quickly flowing and lowering the number of UTIs I got. I think I would be good to press the Dr more on the reflux thing.

J

joneshockey

Well it looks like we will hopefully be heading home in about 4 hours or so... I am just waiting for reconfirmation from her urologist, but I believe that once she has her 12:00 IV antibiotic that we will be sent on our way :) I will be sooooo glad to finally get home --- I have sooo much to do to get ready for Halloween & for work next week. I will probably be working from the time I set foot in the door until my head hits the pillow tonight! Please continue to keep your fingers crossed that this new oral antibiotic will keep her well for a VERY long time!

Cindy