encopresis (again) [okay...still]

skibee21

I am dealing with the same issues. My son in now 13 and has had encopresis since 4. Doctor after Doctor, I know he wants to get better and is very sensitive to what is happening. We went to a pediatrician. Gastrologist who suggested the Mag. Citrate water to clean him out, its just not working. I will call back tomorrow to get more exrays. I am so glad to know we are not alone, we all want our children to get better.

I'm sorry I never came back to update this. After meeting with the pediatric gastroenterologist and a HORRIFYING nightmare of an event (getting his blood drawn) and learning that surgery was the next step, he got very good about taking the clear fiber liquid mixed in with his drinks, and he did get better. I'd say he's clean 90% of the time or more. He's got some occasional seepage which is probably due to the long-term stretching, but he's not plugging the toilet all the time like he was. Hope it gives others some hope. It was a heck of a battle.

H

HaoZi

No experience with your particular problem, but I do have (and am myself) a picky eater who won't touch vegetables or even most fruits. What we have found for the fiber issue is that a number of weight-loss foods have extra fiber. My difficult child will eat the Weight Watchers chocolate snack cakes and the Skinny Cow ice cream snacks. Blue Bunny also makes a low-fat vanilla ice cream that has fiber in it, we use that to make milkshakes and add Slim-Fast powder to them for extra nutrition. I have to watch her intake that she doesn't eat too much fiber at once with some of those, but you can easily pass them off as a treat for finishing a meal. There's also several decent tasting yogurts on the market now with fiber in them, she won't eat yogurt at all now but when she did she loved Fiber One's Key Lime yogurt.