Encopresis childrens book

Mitchell's Mom

At our usual bi-weekly trip to the library, I decided to look to see if there were any books about encopresis as this is a new diagnosis we're dealing with.

Surprisingly, I didn't find any adult texts, but found a children's story called "Clouds and Clocks A Story For Children Who Soil" by Matthew Galvin, MD and illustrated by Sandra Ferraro.

After looking through it in the library, I checked it out and read it to difficult child#2 at bedtime. He was captivated by the story and we had a wonderful conversation during and afterwards.

I highly recommend this book to those with children who are dealing with this issue.

Other books listed were "Childhood Encopresis and Enuresis: Causes and Therapy" by Charles E. Schaefer, PhD. I haven't been able to find this one yet, but I'll let you know when I do.

Fran

Former desparate mom
What a great resource. Thanks so much for sharing. I wish we had that when my difficult child was younger.

Rasin2

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I will see if we can check that book out today at our local library. /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Mitchell's Mom

It gets better. (Oh, I'm doin' the happy dance!!)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

In the book, Andrew (the main character) sits on the toilet after breakfast and again after dinner. I decided to try this with Mitchell today and it actually worked! /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif He had one very small bm each time and seemed happy about doing as I asked. Getting him to do something he may not want to do on a regular basis is a real fight sometimes, but reading the book seemed to make the difference.

To add: Daddy was putting him to bed tonight and he decided he needed to have a BM. Boy, did he have a big one! He seems excited about going now...who knows? (shrug)

Good luck, satxADHDMom. Lemme know what you think of the book.

(singing in the background, still movin' to the happy beat)

busywend

Oh how thrilling it is when something works. Especially something so easy and cheap!!! LOL! /importthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I hope he continues to want to be like Andrew in the book. Good for him for making him a role model.

/importthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

nilesong

Hey thanks for the great info! I'm heading up to our library tomorrow to see if I can find it! difficult child was just diagnosis with this a week ago. Thanks again for the info.