Encouraging

Malika

Lol, Ktllc, I'm afraid that isn't a speech that would have come out of my lips :) I don't expect J to work hard to the detriment of his well being at five years old and I'm not worried about any notion of "progress"... I know that seems hard to understand! I would just like him to fulfil his talents and interests, whatever they are. All will unfold in good time.

InsaneCdn

... when he was tired, he started getting upset and crying about school, saying he doesn't want to go, that he has to "work, work, work", that he gets tired, he gets hungry, it's too much... It will doubtless all be forgotten by Monday morning but somewhere he's reflecting a reality.

Yes, somewhere he is reflecting a reality.
Two possible small accommodations that you might bring up to the teacher - maybe not even at the same time.

1) a mid-morning snack... uneven blood sugar works against mental effort, and if J does have even mild fine motor skills issues, this could be a factor. Even "a glass of milk" would make a huge difference. Is there any provision at the school for the "younger" kids to have a snack as part of their day? (I'm thinking K to grade 3.) I pack a snack as part of lunch... and it has made a noticable diff for our difficult child for years.

2) For fine motor skills work, a slight reduction in the number of repetitions OR shorter workling periods with something else in between. Either one will cut some of the fatigue factor.

Steely

Just a story...It may help...or not...but food for fodder.

At the age of 2 Matt could do the most complex puzzles, ones that I even had a hard time doing as fast as he did. He also knew all of his letters by sight, and had memorized all of his books that I read him. He would read out loud with me all of his books - verbatim. (Gosh I miss those times.)

Then the mental issues started to manifest, or perhaps it was a form of Autism, but his brilliance retreated, and reading suddenly became difficult. He still mastered reading at the age of 4-5, but it was odd how easy it had come for him when he was little, and then suddenly it was quite difficult.

He has always read on grade level, but, again, it was odd how advanced he was, and then it all became a confluence of chaos. He was diagnosis was dyscalculia, dysgraphia, and dyslexia around the first or second grade. His handwriting was, and still is, like a child. He pretty much stopped any interest in reading, and he only did the bare minimums to get through until now.

Regardless we always read books every night together, and told stories, and did creative writing together. In 4th grade when the S.A.T tests in America mandate a child write and read at a certain level - the school had intensive writing every day. He excelled that year, more than any other school year. He came up with the most outrageous, hilarious stories -- and his teacher loved him. (A first.) His creative mind was allowed to flow despite grammar and handwriting.

After all of that -- school became secondary to his mental issues. His teachers told me point blank, he is smart, he will get it, what we need now is for his behavior to be under control. Ummm....well....it never happened. They would have been better off doing what his 4th grade teacher did - focus on his academic talents.

At the age of 20 he was still in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC), and had only a mish mash of schooling. Mostly because of his refusal. Yet he still passed the HS test. To verbally communicate with him now you would think you were communicating with a College Grad, or at least a College Undergrad. On paper, his handwriting gives him away. Yet when he types an email or a thought, he is right on track of where most are at his age.

So -- all of that to say -- life with these kids is such a cr@pshoot. You just never know what avenue they will seek, explore, or cultivate. And regardless of any per-conceived ideas that a teacher or we have about them - and despite any interventions we may insist on - I believe they will excel exactly as they are supposed to and want to - and the best factor in their success is 'US'. I was always reading, writing, & talking to Matt in perfect English - and I would correct him if he was not also talking or writing that way. I was the impetus for his own personal standard. And that is not to brag (AT ALL) - it is just that I now realize how important *I* was in his life. School was secondary to his family and me. He learned what he learned from me, and few others.

So all of that rambling to say, J will get it -- no matter what. :) HUGS.

whatamess

That's an interesting perspective! I like it when people put things in a way I would not have thought of myself... one of the benefits of a forum :) You're probably right. My concern is just whether J can take the pace without any special accommodations at all. Just tonight (not for the first time), when he was tired, he started getting upset and crying about school, saying he doesn't want to go, that he has to "work, work, work", that he gets tired, he gets hungry, it's too much... It will doubtless all be forgotten by Monday morning but somewhere he's reflecting a reality.

And that would have been my next thought- If J can be encouraged through the difficulty, but still accomplish what his peers are- terrific. If J requires more than encouragement and needs accomodations (like more time to complete a task or less work because it takes him twice as long) then your intervention/advocacy will be needed. Wouldn't be nice to have a scale to show us how much help is needed and how much to pull away in order to keep things balanced?!

Malika

Kind of sorry you didn't get Matt into that Waldorf school, Steely - but the past is done, the water has flowed, no point trying to question it now :) Maybe I'll be saying the same thing about J one day.
Yes, IC, protein snacks (if only J could be persuaded to eat them) and some flexibility over these tasks at school would be an excellent idea. But we are in this strange situation where the teacher doesn't really want to know about ADHD or any such thing and conveys to me that I am needlessly "anxious" about J. I just can't ask her for these special provisions at the moment... She can cut a man dead with one glance, if you know what I mean :) If J starts REALLY struggling, it will be obvious and even she will take note and maybe be open to making special provisions for him.
Incidentally, he has never shown any interest in the alphabet or in trying to read whatsoever - unlike all the stories like this I hear from people.