end of job question re: sarah

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> this past sunday sarah got a job at our local sam evens restaurant. she started looking because mdD's was just not giving her enough hours.

she gave notice yesterday that this is her last week.

now here's the situation. she found out last night that her manager had been fired suddenly last thursday....she hasn't found out why yet.

she had to call in sick this past saturday due to a stomach bug that has felled three out of four of us. the manager who took the call has never liked sarah. she gave her an aweful time on the phone & is just nasty to sarah every time they share a shift. THIS is the interum manager!

sarah gave notice to the MOD (manager of the day) yesterday. she said they would be sorry to loose her & she understood sarah's reasons for leaving. she then said, "since you've given notice you don't really have to work tuesday & thursday." we are suspecting she think interim manager is going to give sarah a very hard time & try to force her to walk off the job. we think this other manager was giving sarah a warning. i know this all sounds very cloak & dagger, but stranger things have happened.

sarah really wanted to do the right thing.....leave giving notice & fulfiling her last obligations. but she's very nervous now with-lisa gone. i think sarah would have quit with-lisa gone anyway....a couple of other people did.

i guess i'm looking for reasons for her to give this aweful woman when she calls in :rolleyes:.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kris,

It's always best to leave a job on a positive note. Sarah's given her notice - she should live up to it. It will help in the long run regarding future job references & such.

Just MHO.

kris

<span style='font-size: 14pt'> <span style='font-family: Georgia'> <span style="color: #990000"> normall i would agree, but we sincerly feel the other manager was trying to warn sarah.

kris
</span> </span> </span>

Fran

Former desparate mom
I'm afraid I agree with Linda.
What exactly is she afraid this other manager would do? She may me cold or mean but if Sarah does what is expected as far as notice, then they can not give her a bad reference.
One is allowed to quit a job. It's not against the law.
What's the worst that can happen?
Sorry. I think putting up with this for a few days is worth not losing all the good reviews and experience she has gotten in the past 2 yrs.

JJJ

I'd have Sarah call and confirm that they don't need her today. Tell today's MOD that yesterday's said that she didn't need to come in but she wanted to confirm because she didn't want to leave them short-handed if they couldn't find anyone.

Stella Johnson

I think she should live up to the obligation. It is worth it to leave in good standing. Never know when she might need a job again and this early on she doesn't want a blemish on her work history.

She is going to run into managers like this her entire life no matter what type of work it is.I think it's a good life lesson.

Steph

Wiped Out

Staff member
I agree with JJJ. I like this approach because she is showing a good attitude in checking it out and can go in if needed.