End of my rope

Steely

Karen, you just tell the psychiatrist that is what you want to do. Just be firm, and "steely".

The doctor is not who gets to make the decisions in your sons life! You and he are a team that make the decisions together.
Almost every visit to the psychiatrist, before we got my difficult children medications stable, I would tell/suggest what medications I thought we needed to try. If I did not feel comfortable with a route they were going to go, I did not do it.

You might take a look at the post I just wrote to muts80
http://www.conductdisorders.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14309
I listed some medications and the different types those medications were - since she is in a similar situation to you.

Sara PA

The Concerta may work for focusing his attention. The question is "Is the Concerta making his whole life better or are adverse psychiatric side effects (anxiety, rebound, mood disregulation) erasing the benefits?"

FYI, Strattera is a SNRI antidepressant and has the possibility of all the adverse psychiatric side effects as any other antidepressant.

So Tired

Karen -- also don't forget about taking care of yourself. Maybe seeing a therapist just for you, for a sanity break for an hour a week. Maybe even an anti-depressant for you. Take a walk, call a friend - We have all felt the terrible guilt and hoplessness that comes from this situation. Just the fact that you are here shows what a good parent you are and how you are trying to get your son the help he needs.

Sending strength and support...

Bonnie - Michigan

wakeupcall

Karen, we did a medication wash with our difficult child a couple of years ago. IT WAS AWFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! It took most of the summer to wean him off each medication one by one and then it was time for school to start and he was bouncing off the wall. In our case, the medication wash accomplished nothing. Despite what the side effects may be for our difficult child, he MUST be on a stimulant or he's not even able to sit in a chair to eat, much less to do any school work. These medications are a difficult thing to try and reach the right combo....and I don't think we have it right yet after eight years of medications!