End of school year vent

Kathy813

Staff member
It is a great movie and a true story. Another good movie about math and science is October Sky.

Kathy813

Staff member
Wiped Out ~ I love that our last three days are half days made up of two final exams. I can't imagine trying to deal with elementary school age kids on the last few days of school. I would pull my hair out.

nlj

Ha!
Such a funny thread.
Thanks for cheering me up this morning :)

We normally have a Maths Quiz (yes Maths, I'm in the UK) on the last day of term.

Can't imagine getting away with showing a movie, although my youngest daughter often comes home and tells me they've been doing all sorts of strange activities which seem unrelated to schoolwork, including watching Ice Age! I've given up complaining to my daughter's school though, I'd be writing letters most weeks. I've been thinking seriously about semi-retirement and home-educating her once she's past primary school age. Anyone else doing that or considering it? There's a growing move in the UK for home-schooling as our education system is pretty dire.

Nomad

Staff member
OMG! I was a substitute teacher for many years. I took the job seriously, as I was a parent at these schools and on the PTA. I observed kids lying to their parents about me and/or their teachers all the time. Sometimes, it might be a misunderstanding. Kids don't have great memories. And difficult child's sure can mess up. I know there are goofy teachers out there, but I saw most were doing a very good job. Love that there are actual good math movies out there! Cool! Hope the summer is pppppeaceful! Fingers crossed!

susiestar

Roll With It
I once gave Wiz' 2nd grade teacher a note saying that I would only believe half of what he said about her if she would only believe half of what he said about me and if we could discuss what he said to each of us before we acted on ANYTHING he said. She was a 1st yr teacher and was shocked until about the 5th week of class when he claimed that I beat him for four straight hours the night before. She panicked and called the principal, who called me. Why didn't the principal call CPS? He had no marks on him, did not move like he was hurt in any way, and had already told several very odd and unbelievable stories to the principal. A bit of critical thinking showed the lie even before I arrived at school ready to make Wiz' lie a self fulfilling prophecy.

It only got worse as the year went on, but thankfully she learned fast.

As for movies, I have a problem with them in some contexts. If the class has just ended an assigned unit and has one period before a holiday, I don't object. If the teacher routinely shows movies that are totally irrelevant to the subject matter? I hate it. I also hated it as a student. If the teacher works to tie the movie into the curriculum, I think it is awesome. Just showing the movie and not discussing it? Again, I have a problem with that. Of course I feel the same about field trips. We had a 2nd gr teacher who took the kids on a field trip 3-4 times a MONTH. I was in the room volunteering and this teacher NEVER uttered a single word about the field trips or what the kids would learn during them, or what they had learned afterward. It was just one HUGE waste of learning time and parent's money (average cost was $20 a month for these, and that was with the kids walking to and from the school). Mostly they went to various fast food places to see how they fixed the food. I loved many things this teacher did, but this finally stopped when several parents called the school superintendent about the waste of class time (at least five hours a week was what they found wasted on these trips.)

Mostly I would not figure it was a big problem at the end of the year if the teacher showed a movie or two. I do wonder about some of the teacher's movie choices because they get closer and closer to R rated or very violent movies each year. Of course thank you would usually prefer to go read a book, but that is just him.

TerryJ2

Susiestar, you bring up an important point: R-rated movies. There are so few choices for kids in HS these days, so the teachers end up picking little kid movies.
I emailed the principal and told him that I have a huge collection of VCR tapes from the 30s, 40s, and 50s, thanks to my cousin, P, in assisted living, and would be happy to share them. Don 't know if he'll take me up on it. :)
So, just to soapbox a little ... Hollywood does not have to insert the ugly words and random nudity that it does in its movies. If they took it out, the movies would be just as good. So frustrating. Off my soapbox now. :)