Entitlement - its not just for the young ones any more...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yesterday, we acquired an old relic that neither husband nor I wanted, but that exBIL collects, so, with husband's blessing, I offered it to exBIL. He was all sorts of excited about it. He does a ton of stuff to help us, and its not often that we have or can do something to reciprocate, so it felt nice to finally give something back, you know?
When I mentioned later that this relic might be worth a bit of money, husband's whole tune changed. He didn't want me to give it to exBIL then...he might want to keep it, or sell it to make some money (we're talking $100 here...not thousands).
We almost never get thru a hay season without having to borrow a tractor from exBIL. ExBIL made me the gunbelt I use for shooting (a $150 value, maybe more). If my car broke down in AZ, I could call and he'd come get me. I know exBIL doesn't sit over there and keep score - he knows I'll help him any way I possibly can, too, so its not even about that, but G*d forbid we give him something that might be worth $100...
That attitude in husband is his mother talking, and OMG does it drive me batty.
I'm giving exBIL the relic.
As soon as that conversation was finished, husband turned around and put the rails back on the flatbed trailer. easy child 1 had taken them off to haul the minister's car home on Monday. He repaired the car yesterday and didn't put the rails back on the trailer. husband was yelling (easy child 1 wasn't there) about how he never puts anything back.
easy child 1 had to go buy MORE ratchet straps to haul the car home because the 2 chains that I owned prior to husband moving in, and the 4 booms that I owned prior to husband moving in, are at husband's parents' house, where we can't get them. (I had to buy 2 more chains and 2 more boomers a couple years ago for the same reason when I had to go pick up easy child when the transmission went out of his truck! husband and his parents were gone, and my stuff was locked in their shop where husband had left it after having last used it to haul something of theirs home.)
I told husband to can it. When he was perfect, he could yell at easy child for his inadequacies, but easy child and I have the receipts to prove that he's pretty danged lousy about putting stuff away, too.
Then, a couple weeks back, I told husband he needed to figure out what we were doing with cultured difficult child when she is here this summer. I told him I would not have her having free reign of the house 8 hours a day unsupervised, particularly given the level of trust we have with her. I suggested we attempt to work with her mom to let her sit at mom's when we're at work. She ended school with miserable grades and doesn't want to go to summer school, then let her sit and do status quo and be bored. If she went to summer school, she'd be spending part of that time at the pool and the park with friends... He thought it was a great idea, as his parents coddle her too much (he thinks, I concur), and he thought sending her there would be almost "rewarding". Not that we really want to try to punish her, but did want to set it up to make having been at summer school a bit more appealing. I made arrangements with mom or grandma on mom's side to keep her while we're at work.
Guess where she went yesterday? Yup. The Broom Closet. She came home with roller blades, clothes, and a couple of light sculptures. They took her out to eat twice and thought it was cute that she ate an entire mixing bowl full of slaw she'd made (using at least a cup and a half of mayo to make it...)
Then guess where she's at today??? Because she "wanted to go back". So much for not rewarding the choice. Today, she took movies and her DS game. Bet $100 she never leaves the recliner, except to go to the restaraunt she picks today.
Have everything. Give nothing. I'm tired of that attitude.
Thanks for letting me vent.

Last edited: