Environmentally acceptable cups for meeting??

DDD

We're having a membership meeting this Saturday and are serving fresh fruit and vegetable platter. For drinks I'm planning to serve water and green tea from big jugs in lieu of bottled drinks. The group attracts "green" activists. No problem.

But...all of a sudden I'm wondering what cups to buy. The colored plastic coated cups will look better but I don't know they are recyclable. What do the "Watercooler" experts think? Seemed like an appropriate place to ask. :sigh: DDD

Steely

Re-cycled for sure. I think they make ones of corn starch or something that will turn into nothing in a land fill.

susiestar

Roll With It
husband recommends the wax coated paper cups. He spent years working in a laboratory testing what is in water bodies and what runoff from companies around the country contains and the effect on the environment. The wax coated paper cups (like starbucks uses) will decompose easily in a landfill and can even be composted in some areas.

I would go to McDonalds or STarbucks or Arbys and ask for donations of cups. You iwll need to speak to a manager, not a shift manager, and if this is for a non-profit and you can give them a letter thanking them, it will be a tax deduction for them. Cups are usually one of the easier things to get donated, from my experiences anyway.

DDD

We don't know who is attending as it is an advertised open invitation. There could be ten or there could be fifty or more. So I can't say "bring your cup". Since it is just a few days away I'll pick up cups locally. I'm relieved to hear that the plastic coated cups are ok to use as that is easiest to find and will add some color to the refreshment table. I will look for cups marked as recyclable as well. We've always provided individual bottled water and had a can for recycle deposit but I'm tending to think that buying big jugs and pouring may be more environmentally friendly. This is my last meeting as President :likeit: and I'm really hoping to get an expanded membership for future leaders at this get together. Fingers crossed.DDD

Star*

call 911........call 911
Congratulations Madame President!

Then I really like Susie's idea. It's an opportunity to ask for memberships - AND get freebies that are totally green. Then maybe do a message board with a thank you to all that donated and explain why you did it?

High schools would also or should have a "green" class. Maybe you could ask one of them to come and be a guest and give you a grade?

It would be very cool to announce that you are the greenest meeting place in town, and list all your helpers.

DDD

We are a trails advocacy group but there likely is a green group around. Since we take part in Earth Day, support the Clean Lakes group etc. I'm just assuming that some perspective new members may be looking to see if we present as friendly to the environment. Then again, maybe not. DDD

PS: I'm being replaced by a Mr. President. Yeah!