estanged children

trinityroyal

Oh, I forgot to add, you might want to do what I suggested in a letter. A proper letter, written on nice paper. Make a rough copy or two (or several) until you're comfortable you have the words right, and then give or send it to her.

I suggest nice paper rather than e-mail or regular paper, because it shows that you've taken time and trouble over the note because it's important to you.

rmccart

trinityroyal
this is the perspective I am trying to find.I am dieing one slice at a time , I hurt for the hurt she feels :(, you bring up great points

BusynMember

Right now you are having moodswings over something not in your control. I do that too, but I'm working on mindfulness, which in my opinion is great for stuff like that. I do it in therapy. Have you seen your therapist lately? I don't know if we can do anything more for you, except listen...which, of course, we will always do.

InsaneCdn

It's not really safe to make major decisions when you are in the middle of crisis mode. You're hurting too much right now.

If you want to pack up her stuff so you don't have it "in your face"... fine. But don't get rid of it... you don't know what tomorrow or next week or next month will bring. Don't burn your bridges...

rmccart

It seems that alot of people us ethe tactic of silence when dealing with people? I dont understand how this is an effective method of problem solving? I have stop communication with daughter in the hopes she will understand that life is short and issues dont resolve themselves.
God I hope it works !!!

BusynMember

It's an effective way to turn off conversation when you don't want to have one and in my opinion it indicates that the person is not ready to solve a problem or is too upset to talk yet. Patience.

rmccart

Thanks to all responses I have gotten !!This is possibly the hardest thing Ive gone thru including divorce! This is a hard one to grasp with logic or reason.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Often where emotions are concerned, logic and reason go out the window. In addition, sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing. And, yet, it is a course of action which can work effectively, because you allow the other to be in their own choices without your interference. Sometimes that distance can allow the other to walk through their own process without us pushing, prodding, asking, insisting, demanding, judging, expecting and/or any other actions we need them to take. Give her some room to grow. And, yes, it is very hard to do. You might want to read the blurb on detachment at the bottom of my post here. Stay the course, you're doing great.

rmccart

So its been 4 weeks and little to no contact at all, I have stopped reaching out in hopes of spurring some movement, not happening. I am amazed how things can be left unfinished.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Well, perhaps 'unfinished' could be changed to a 'work in progress.' Obviously, for whatever reason, she needs space. It's very hard on you, but in the big picture, which you can't see, it may ultimately be a factor in bringing you closer, you have no way of knowing anything right now. She may come to her own conclusions which are similar to yours, but she will come to them on her own.

I had to let my granddaughter go live with her other grandmother for a whole year, against my wishes and my better judgment. It was very hard. I thought, as you do, that she went to the enemy camp. But, after a year, she realized on her own, at 14 years old, exactly what I could never share with her about her grandmother, SHE realized all of it and really began appreciating me. Her absence from my life made a huge difference to her, it changed her life, because all of her awareness came from her own process, not mine. It was the most valuable lesson of her life. It's hard for us to give up our control of them, but your daughter is an adult and if she comes to her own conclusions about the divorce, about you, about her mom, it will be so much more meaningful and valuable then if you tried to persuade her to understand it from your point of view. Hang in there.

rmccart

I thought as you got older it was supposed to get easier?
Thanks for the words of wisdom! As I intellectually understand and know what needs to happen it is a constant battle.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I SO understand what you're saying, I believed it would get easier to.....sigh............ and in some ways it does.............I'm way more patient and more able to live in the "mystery" then when I was younger. Perhaps that is really all that happens as we age, we just get better at letting stuff go which we really had no control over anyway!! Yup, it is a constant battle, I get that too, but as you get better at it, better at just letting it be, you know what? You gain some peace. Go figure.............it's a conundrum for sure.

My oldest , I have not talked to in over six years. Last night he friended my youngest child, my daughter on facebook. I have consistenly sent him emails,etc. I can still wish the best,etc. We still have a mother's heart, noone can take that away, I still love and care.

Mattsmom277

My daughters circumstances are very different, yet she is also estranged from her father. Your daughter is 20, mine is just 13. Your daughter decided to distance herself, not you. My daughters father distanced himself, not my daughter. But there are many similarities nonetheless, because ultimately my daughters father chose this, but in his mindset, he truly believes it is my daughter distancing himself. So given that my daughters dad feels SHE pulled away, and having a personal insight into the view of the kiddo here, I felt like maybe it could help to share what my daughter wishes her dad would do (I'm not saying that your daughter shares my daughters wants/needs because I can't know that but I think the perspective may fit regardless).

What does my daughter want/need from her dad, that does not change even if he would wake up and realize that he chose this distance from our daughter? She wants not much in the immediate, and what she wants long term is very legitimate and takes time but most importantly she wants to feel worth his effort. She wants an apology. Choices of his have hurt her. In her case those those choices were not done without him having insight into the effect on her, but she is able to realize that her father sees it differently and he really keeps maintaining she should forget the hurt because he believes he had no clue it would her and he meant no ill will etc. The fact remains, my daughter needs an apology. She is not even expecting a outline of what he is sorry for because she has the wisdom to know they both have differing perspectives. And ultimately it is not the apology that has the true meaning for her anyhow, its the acknowledgement by him that decisions he made had a horrible impact on her emotionally and that he recognizes it now (without even placing "blame", she has learned from me that wanting or needing "blame" usually has no good outcome) and wants things to be better and wants to do better. She doesn't want to beat him up emotionally for the hurt he caused her, she simply wants to know he "gets it" and that he is open to a new relationship with some changes and a commitment for him to not repeat the mistakes of days past. I am thinking that if you do NOT know why your daughter is angry, until you do it may be a patience game. At the same time, it is NOT too soon to tell her that although you can't claim to know what all has upset her so deeply, you honor her hurts and are willing to not be defensive and HEAR her when she feels ready, and that you will do your best to understand her feelings. I would also tell her that if there are things that you don't understand that have hurt her, you will do your best to understand but even if you remain confused you honor her feelings above your own understanding and ultimately what matters most to you is that you never want to hurt her and once you know better you can do better and you WILL do better because she is valued and worth it and that you will be not reaching out until she is ready, NOT because it isn't tearing you up to be distanced, but because she is an adult and you are wanting her to know that you respect her space right now but it is important to you that she know that the longer this goes on, the harder to communicate it will be and though not impossible to fix down the line, the pain for both of you won't get easier with time but worse with time, so it is your hope she reaches out without too much time passing but you will be ready whenever she is, no matter the time line. Make it clear that there is no statute of limitations on her calling or writing or asking to get together to talk. No matter how much time does pass, you are there for her and will be overjoyed when you two can begin to do the tough stuff that is required to be a healthy and happy family.

I don't think that you should really cut finances etc quite yet. I would perhaps close the door to the room with her belongings but if she learns you packed it up, changed locks, cut the support you gave willingly when she was speaking to you, whatever is brewing this pain in her will grow tenfold and your love for his is so apparent. Truly I just would hate to see you burning a bridge because you are justifiably confused and hurt and angry. Your emotions are valid. Your reactions and actions however must root in logic, because ultimately obviously you would and do want your daughter to know the door is open to communication. Tossing her belongings, cutting her off financially and changing your locks does NOT reflect your emotional desire to have your daughter open up to you. Rather it would come off to her as you being angry about her feelings and that won't go over well, her feelings are as valid as yours. Harsh decisions now may root and embed her hurt and pain deeper, to a place so deep she chooses to ignore you outright rather than deal with it.

Only you of course know the intimate details of your history with your daughter and her personality. My advice may be way off based, but I don't have private details so this is all just speculating that she is going through one set of issues when I suppose she could be dealing with something else completely.

hang in there, it isn't always easy parenting but in the end the goal is a loving relationship with her. Express your anger and hurt safely so that it doesn't do more harm to the relationship. If you model patience and love and support even in the face of the distance, it will go far over time to help your daughter see you as daughters want to see their dads: loving unconditionally even when they are angry and hurt.

rmccart

Some very good advice from my daughters perspective, the hard part is looking back and then understanding what led to this reaction. I could have avoided this dramatic a situation. If you dont mind I am going to steal some of your words.