Estherfromjerusalem

trinityroyal

Esther, just wondering if you and your family are okay. I've been seeing terrifying reports on the news, and am worried about all of you.

Trinity

Estherfromjerusalem

Trinity, thank you so much for your concern. We are all fine. We have had some rockets fired at Jerusalem, and twice we have had to run to the safe part of the apartment and stay there until all was clear. We heard the booms of the rockets being intercepted by the defence mechanisms. The last three weeks have been very difficult here in Israel, but our extended family are all well. I don't want to say any more, because no politics are allowed here (and rightly so!). Thank you for asking.

Love, Esther

dstc_99

I am so glad to hear you are doing well and that your family is as well.

I will say a prayer and rattle some beads that things get better quickly.

lovemysons

Esther,
Just wanted you to know that you and your family have been in my thoughts and prayers lately.

Stay safe!
Love to you,
LMS

Scent of Cedar *

You have been in my thoughts and prayers as well, Esther.

I am so happy to hear you are well, and that your family has not been harmed.

Cedar

DammitJanet

Im so glad to hear you are safe Esther. Could they call difficult child back up? I heard on tv that they were calling some up from as long ago as 13 years!

trinityroyal

Esther, I'm so glad to hear that you're all safe. I'm keeping you (and Israel) in my prayers. I will say no more either, to keep politics off the site. Many hugs, Trinity.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

busywend

Stay safe and check in often please. We are worriers as you know. Hugs! Prayers for you and yours

sent from mobile phone

Estherfromjerusalem

Here's something funny: The army phoned and spoke to my husband. They were looking for Oriel (difficult child). He is in Australia. So my husband phoned him to Australia to tell him. His reaction: he laughed. That's it. So I'm pleased I don't have to worry about him being in the army now. One of my grandsons is in the army, very active service. And my granddaughter's husband has been called up. We are just staying calm, occasionally we have to run down to the shelter when the siren goes, but so far we are OK. Thank you all for your concern.

Love, Esther

svengandhi

I'm also glad to hear that you are OK. It's very worrying. difficult child has wanted to sign up for Birthright, but H is now very opposed to it.

What will happen to Oriel if he comes back to Israel, having ignored the call up? I know that my PC18's close friend, who was born in Israel, has been told that he should not return to visit before he is 30 or he will be taken into the Army. His father was Mossad but came to the US when he married an American.

Estherfromjerusalem

Nothing will happen to Oriel. He had to get an official authorization from the army when he left the country, and they know he is abroad. They were just doing a call-up now but obviously they hadn't checked. If he ever comes back to live here in Israel, he will have to do reserve army duty just like everyone else here does. It's no problem, or as they say in Australia, "No worries."

Love, Esther

svengandhi

Good, I couldn't imagine him not being able to come home to visit you.

I have never been to Israel, despite my yeshiva upbringing, and have it on my bucket list. daughter went on Birthright 2 years ago and loved the country and the people. She plans to visit again.

Esther.. I just want you to know I am praying for you. sven...the Birthright thing is so cool! My own children never wanted to do that, I'm sure it was an amazing trip.

Estherfromjerusalem

Thanks, Nancy, and everyone else. Here in Israel we have no evacuations. Everyone knows where his\her sheltered space is, and we run there quickly when the air-raid sirens go off. People who live very far south have 15 seconds. Here in Jerusalem we have one and a half minutes. Actually the shelter in our building is unusable, so we go to a corner of our apartment which has no outside walls, and we pray! People in the far north of the country have opened up their homes to host families from the south who are having a difficult time.

Love, Esther

Scent of Cedar *

Esther, I think of you and your family immediately when the news reports are frightening.

I pray for strength and courage for you, and for freedom from fear.

Cedar

Estherfromjerusalem

Thank you for thinking of me, and of us here in Israel. The rockets continue to be fired over most of Israel, but luckily Jerusalem has not had many. I spend most of my time glued to the TV and am getting very little work done, neither housework nor my proofreading\editing. It is so hard to concentrate. I have one grandson who is still down there in the thick of it, and of course we are very concerned for him and pray that he will be OK. I don't want to say more because I don't think any of us want a discussion about "the situation." However, life carries on and last Thursday my family surprised me with a surprise birthday party (I am now 69, and not really rejoicing about being soooo old!), and that was really lovely. I had done the week's shopping and my husband came to pick me up (I don't drive), and we got home and were schlepping in the bags, I opened the front door and loads of people, large and small, all shouted "Happy Birthday" and I must say it was just lovely, after I got over my initial shock. One son and his wife took all the bags and sorted out what had to go in the fridge and/or freezer, and we just shoved all the bags under the kitchen table, and they had ordered pizza and had prepared salads. The noise was amazing! It was lovely, and I thank G d for my lovely family.

Love, Esther