Ethnicity and Easter foods...

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
So, what did your families make for Easter Sunday? My American family was Polish and it was always held at grandma's. She made kielbasa, both fresh and smoked, and kapusta (sauerkraut). Sometimes she made a roast chicken as well. Aunt Mary brought ham and someone would bring roast beef. I think they were afraid of starving! It must have been awful to be an immigrant at the turn of the last century.

DDD

I have no ethnic Easter menu history but I do think that having "too much" food was more important in previous generations. It could be because of the Depression or WWII rationing or just because immigrant families from all over the world sought the sense of well being. My siblings and I always have too much prepared when we have company...just like my parents did back in the day. on the other hand, our children (who, lol, are more successful overall than we were) seem to focus on quality food prep with moderate and healthier offerings.

;) My Aspie difficult child, I just remembered, was overheard telling someone that
our family always had lots of food "because we remember the potato famine
in Ireland". LOL I'm sitting her laughing after that popped in my head. Can
you just image what that adult thought? :redface:

Have a great Easter pig out! DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
Baby lamb but usually baby goat. I didn't even know that was "unique".
Always pasta, usually ravioli.

klmno

Tourette's Syndrome: That sounds like a great dinner!

Easter Sunday was the biggest family gathering we had so dinner was nothing costly. Everyone in our extended family went to church then my grandmother's afterwards for dinner (after a quick trip home so the kids could change out of their Easter dresses or suits). The adult women each brought a dish and typically, it was more like a picnic festival, except indoors, because everyone was thinking Spring. Being from the south, I guess the most popular was fried chicken, potato salad, green beans, baked beans, corn, rolls, and fruits and pies/ice cream.

Lothlorien

Growing up, my mother's side of the family either made Timballos or this really fancy (very rich and heavy) lasagne that involved meat and several sauces.

husband's family always had fresh ham as well as fresh and smoked kielbasa.

I have adopted the ham and kielbasa route. It's easier than making Timballos(which I tried to make once. It didn't turn out as well as g-gma's) and Lasagne, which I think is just way to heavy a meal for Easter. Ham is easy and a lighter meal.

N

Nomad

Lamb, salad, soup.
We are having a guests...someone is making a low fat dessert.