Every now & then - something positive

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt rec'd a cell phone for her b/day. She cannot access internet, send or received text messages or pictures. It's completely for staying in touch with mom & dad & care providers.

We've been letting kt's world expand a bit (with a great deal of anxiety, but doing it none the less). Monday - husband & I had to run a couple of quick errands - PCA wasn't due in for a couple of hours.

kt asked to stay home by herself. I looked at husband who shrugged & said "we have to try it sometime". So, being the mom I am, I repeated the rules, turned off in coming phone lines so she wouldn't let anyone know she was home alone & made sure her cell phone was charged.

husband & I were gone for 45 minutes. (Surprised husband didn't get stopped a couple of times.) kt checked in with me or husband (giggling said she was taking turns talking to mom or dad) every 10 minutes.

We got home & all was at peace. kt was so proud of herself.

Yesterday, I had a situation where again I had to be at a doctor's appointment & husband had to leave for a business mtg at the same time. We gave kt her own set of back door keys, made sure her cell was charged, etc, etc, etc. I quizzed her ad nauseaum who she was allowed to let in the house (no one except Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) therapist. Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) therapist allowed me to put her cell phone number on kt's phone). Integrated Listening Systems (ILS) therapist came to the door, rang the doorbell - kt check outside the window & then let therapist in. therapist called me later & reassured me that kt was doing all the right things.

I just had to take a moment & share this with you. husband & I never felt we'd get to the point where we could run an errand or attend a quick appointment with-o kt in tow or scheduling in help.

:dance:

On_Call

Wow, Linda! This is encouraging!! I can imagine the first time you did it was very nervewracking!!

Joining in your :dance:.

I cannot imagine being able to do this with difficult child ever! Hope I'm wrong!

High Five for KT!!! :thumb:

Alisonlg

:bravo: Yay, KT!!!! That's wonderful! I'm so proud of her for handling her responsibility so well! How great for all involved!!!

Marguerite

That is really great progress. And every time there is a success like this, it sets her up for even more success. Slowly, slowly...

Marg

Janna

Linda,

We have to live for the positives. That's wonderful news about kt. I can't leave B alone yet, at 15. Can't be trusted.

Really good for her! She has rights to be proud, as do you and husband.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Very cool Linda! I know it's hard on the nerves but how awesome! It gives me hope that one day I may be able to leave difficult child home for a bit on his own.

OpenWindow

Congratulations! What a major step for you and for kt!

I leave my difficult child home alone to run errands... I think he is much better behaved and more responsible than when we are there with him!